Open source cross-platform (Windows/Linux) Java Visual Traceroute and packet sniffer. Route and packets are displayed in a 3D or a 2D map component.
What is a traceroute ? http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Traceroute
What is a packet sniffer ? http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Packet_analyzer
1) Install java >= 1.6 (http://www.oracle.com/technetwork/java/javase/downloads/index.html)
2) For Windows OS: Install Winpcap (http://www.winpcap.org/install/default.htm). At the end of the installation, check the "Automatically start the WinPcap driver at boot time".
3) Download OpenVisualTraceRoute and extract the zip.
Go into the OpenVisualTraceRoute folder.
- Windows : double click on startWindows.bat
- Linux : set executable permission for startLinux.sh file and run it (will require sudo privileges)
> chmod +x startLinux.sh
Limitation: Cannot traceroute if connected to a VPN or a router that filters ICMP packets.
- Packet sniffer
- 3D and 2D Map visualisation
- Copy paste of the route to Clipboard
- Gantt view
Easy to use and fun to see how you're able to connect to the other side of the world in less than a second. It works fine with Ubuntu 12.04, though it gives an error if you're using vpn. Hope it will be fixed in the near future.
Easy to install and use.
Great program! I couldn't find any free or commercial apps that work nearly as well and are as visually interesting.