GnuCOBOL (formerly OpenCOBOL) is a free COBOL compiler. cobc translates COBOL to executable using intermediate C sources, providing full access to nearly all C libraries.
OpenCOBOL 1.1 continued on as GNU Cobol 1.1. Officially posted to ftp://ftp.gnu.org/gnu/gnucobol, also available here.
GnuCOBOL 2.0 is on its way to a pre-release.
A superb manual by Gary Cutler, along with a FAQ / How-To, and other documentation is indexed at http://opencobol.add1tocobol.com/guides
OpenCOBOL 1.1 is
Copyright (C) 2001-2009 Keisuke Nishida
Copyright (C) 2007-2012 Roger While
As above, GnuCOBOL is also authored by Simon Sobisch, Sergey Kashyrin, Joe Robbins, Ron Norman
This program is free software; you can redistribute it and/or modify it under the terms of the GNU General Public License as published by the Free Software Foundation; either version 2, or (at your option) any later version.
The libcob run time support source tree is LGPL
- A nicely complete implementation of COBOL with nearly seamless C integration
- Over 9700 NIST COBOL 85 test suite tests passed, over 500 internal checks
- Direct access to almost all C libraries, and even more with the C++ base
- Compiler built with GNU Autotools, also successfully builds with LLVM clang
- CGI capable and desktop ready, GTK+ screens have been demonstrated
- EXEC SQL preprocessors available for PostgreSQL, Firebird, ODBC, DB2
- REPORT SECTION, SCREEN SECTION, FUNCTION-ID support
- ASCII, EBCDIC, little endian, big endian. A build published for z/OS OMVS/USS
- Compiler messages translated; english, spanish, japanese, more to come
- Nearly full support of the COBOL 2014 Compiler Directing Facility feature set
There are no 4 star reviews.