Menu

Effective Diameter

Xiaomo Liu
2011-07-27
2013-05-29
  • Xiaomo Liu

Xiaomo Liu - 2011-07-27

I'd like to ask if there is a way to compute the "effective diameter" using JUNG.

I actually found two definitions for this metrics: (1) In "Analysis of Topological Characteristics of Huge Online Social Networking Services" by Ahn et al., the effective diameter is the 90th-percentile of the path length distribution; (2) Jure Leskovec's thesis gives a more formal definition.

When searching the JUNG API and the mail and forum archive, I only found the diameter() in DistanceStatistics class. However, it seems this function computes the full diameter.

Best,
    Xiaomo Liu

• Joshua O'Madadhain

Xiaomo:

As you've observed, JUNG does not include the effective diameter, and it seems unlikely that we'll be including it any time soon.  You should be able to follow the model of the diameter() method you found to write it yourself without a great deal of trouble, though.  (If you do so and want to contribute your implementation back to JUNG, please contact us.)

Joshua

• Xiaomo Liu

Xiaomo Liu - 2011-07-28

Joshua,

Thanks for the reply. I will try to implement the algorithm by myself. If I successfully do that, I will definitely contribution my implementation to JUNG.

-Xiaomo