* School Lists manager component for Joomla! 1.5
* @version 1.0.0
* @package sch_lists
* @author Andrew Waites
* @copyright Copyright (C) 2009 Technology Strategies Pty Ltd. All rights reserved.
* @copyright Copyright (C) 2005 - 2008 Open Source Matters. All rights reserved.
* @license http://www.gnu.org/copyleft/gpl.html GNU/GPL
This file is part of School Lists.
School Lists is free software: you can redistribute it and/or modify
it under the terms of the GNU General Public License as published by
the Free Software Foundation, either version 3 of the License, or
(at your option) any later version.
This program is distributed in the hope that it will be useful,
but WITHOUT ANY WARRANTY; without even the implied warranty of
MERCHANTABILITY or FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE. See the
GNU General Public License for more details.
You should have received a copy of the GNU General Public License
along with this program. If not, see <http://www.gnu.org/licenses/>.
This Joomla component germinated from standard PHP pages built for our local school. Whilst
working on these I was also working with a colleague on his NFP website which introduced me
to Joomla. I spent some time searching for appropriate Joomla extensions and for various
reasons ended up looking into providing a custom extension with the target user groups being
parent support groups for schools (PTAs in the US, Parents and Friends, Parents and Citizens,
Since starting work on this I have come across CiviCRM (CiviCRM LLC, www.civicrm.org) which
is a highly advanced CRM component/system which runs under Drupal and Joomla and which may be
worth considering if you are looking for a top end option. This component suite is significantly
simpler and custom designed for schools.
Ths sch_lists component is intended as a baseline component which may be extended with additional
modules. It provides (or will ) the following basic functionality:
- extends contacts to allow parent, student and staff contact types (staff can be parents)
- adds family concept, class (as in school class), school year, class parents (i.e.
parent/s responsible for a class)
- generates class contact lists (PDF)
- enables mailing to class, year, school, other school lists
- incorporation of advanced mailing list management (principally bounce and unsubscribe)
[ to do ]
Component is currently only designed/configured under the administration area of the site.
This is a baseline system which provides some simple functionality and also enables other modules.
I currently envisage modules for:
- fundraising (auctions, wishlists, events)
- the above are on the plan list because they have already been built albeit not under Joomla.
There are myriad policy, privacy, security and marketing (yes marketing) issues to be
addressed/resolved going forward (love that term) but the Alpha version currently on site should
give a view of the intent. More explanation will be forthcoming once I get cracking on the wiki.
A quick look at the source will demonstrate the project's need for experienced Joomla coders.
We also need sites willing to test and functionality suggestions.