jEdit is a programmer's text editor written in Java. It uses the Swing toolkit for the GUI and can be configured as a rather powerful IDE through the use of its plugin architecture.
- Written in Java, so it runs on Mac OS X, Unix, VMS and Windows.
- Built-in macro language; extensible plugin architecture.
- Hundreds of plugins can be downloaded and installed from within jEdit using the plugin manager feature.
- Auto indent, and syntax highlighting for more than 200 languages.
- Supports a large number of character encodings including UTF8 and Unicode.
- Folding for selectively hiding regions of text.
- Word wrap.
- Highly configurable and customizable.
- See http://www.jedit.org/?page=features for more ...
I use jEdit daily and have done so for years. It collects a number of features together under a single application and has a strong base editor. The features I use have changed over the years, but that's just a testament to its utility :)
Highly customizable. If you know Java, you can write your own macros and plugins.
Superb editor with a plethora of features. Thank you.
Oh PLEASE hire a UI designer!
Wonderful editor witha a lot of Plugin. I use it every day on Windows and Linux.