Impro-Visor® is a music notation tool for producing monophonic lead sheets. Chord symbols are used to generate backing tracks automatically. Improvisation advice exists in the form of note coloration, database of licks, and automatic lick generation from grammars. Grammars can be learned automatically from transcriptions. Styles can be edited and created by the user. Other features include generation of roadmaps for understanding keys and idiomatic chord progressions, chord voicing keyboard, MIDI and MusicXML export. See http://www.cs.hmc.edu/~keller/jazz/improvisor for general information, including tutorials. Support and additional resources are through the user group https://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/impro-visor/info.
WINDOWS 10 Users: Please use the Version 8.0 beta from https://www.cs.hmc.edu/~keller/Impro-Visor%20Release8.0beta/
Please read before leaving evaluation: http://www.cs.hmc.edu/~keller/jazz/improvisor/reviewerNote.html
- Impro-Visor = Improvisation Advisor, focused on leadsheets with monophonic melody
- Music notation using point-and-click, with visual harmonic hints and advice
- Uniform interface on all major platforms (Windows, MacOSX, Linux)
- Huge store of musical knowledge about chords, scales, licks, etc.
- Music saved as text files, can be entered as text if desired
- Auto-generated accompaniment from chord progressions
- Roadmap generator (showing keys and chord bricks)
- Automatic grammatical inference for melodic styles
- Automatic lick generation from grammars
- User-specifiable accompaniment styles
- MusicXML import thru MuseScore
- MusicXML and MIDI exports
- MIDI import (single track)
- Easy, fast chord entry
- Style editor
This is a remarkable program, useful for so many things. First, Impro-visor allows you to easily enter any chord sequence. Once entered, you can play the sequence back at any speed in a wide variety of styles. The styles menu allows the addition of rhythmic percussion and a baseline according to your tastes. This alone is a great feature, perfect for practicing melodic accompaniment and more importantly, working on improvisation. Before discovering Impro-visor, when practicing improvisation, I would look for backing tracks on Youtube. These were available in a variety of keys and styles, but mainly isolated to a chord or sequence of chords linked to a particular scale. With Impro-visor, I can easily construct any sequence of chords, even for entire songs, which allows me to practice improvisation in a very focused manner. The second feature of note (haha), is the ability to construct complete melodic sequences. This can be done interactively. However, Impro-visor also embodies machine learning algorithms that can, given the chord sequence, automatically suggest a wide variety of improvisational ideas. The tutorial documentation was good, and I had no trouble learning how to use this program. On the downside, there are a few important bugs. The program occasionally has some issues with playback going dead for a few bars, and it has also locked up on me a couple of times.
Really helpful program with a lot of different features
This program has so many different tools to choose from! They are all helpful and fun.
This is a great learning tool!
Offers a great number of useful and interesting features