Fresh Memory is an application that helps to learn large amounts of any material with Spaced Repetition method. The most important subject is learning foreign words, but Fresh Memory can be also used to learn anything else. Other examples are country's capitals and flags, chemical elements, mathematical formulas, technical terms. The learning data is stored as flash cards and dictionaries: sets of cards. The flash cards may have several fields, and the user controls what combination of fields to learn. The flash cards can have formatted text and images. The look of flash cards and studying parameters are can be flexibly adjusted.
* Efficient Spaced Repetition method as well as simple review of flash cards (Word drill)
* Flash cards are groupped into dictionaries, which are stored in separate files
* Import and export dictionaries from/to CSV files
* Shows studying statistics for each dictionary: number of scheduled and new cards
* Rich formatting of cards: colors, fonts and images
* Multi-sided flash cards: can have several fields
* It is possible to define several card packs with different combinations of fields, and learn the card packs separately.
* Cards with the same question are automatically merged into one card
* Cards with several questions (separated with ';') are automatically broken down to several cards
* Dictionary modifications can be undone
* Editing and removing of cards directly from the study view
* Different card fields can have different styles: font and color
* Adjustable background color and fonts of the flash cards
* Automatic highlight of question keywords in the examples
* Adjustable studying parameters: random or sequential card show, different day limits
* Full support of Unicode (UTF-8): any international characters can be used.
* Dictionary and its study data are stored in separate files. It is easy to share clean dictionaries.
* Translations: Czech, Finnish, Russian, Ukrainian
sudo make install
See README file for details.
freshmemory [OPTIONS] [DICTIONARY]
DICTIONARY - a dictionary filename to be loaded.
--version, -v Prints version information and quits.
--help, -h Prints help page and quits.
Dictionary files use .fmd extension. You can bind this extension to Fresh Memory for easy opening of your dictionaries.
On Windows, output to console is possible only in the debug version. Compile it with:
The user's study data (.fms files) is saved to the same directory as the dictionary.
Changed settings are saved to user-specific application data directory:
* Linux and MacOS:
* Windows XP:
C:\Documents and Settings\<User>\Application data\freshmemory\
* Windows 7:
Image paths in the dictionary records can be specified relative to the dictionary path:
- <img src="%/image.png"> # In the same directory as the dictionary
- <img src="%%/image.png"> # In <Dictionary dir>/<Dictionary file name without extension>/
- It is safe to move dictionary with its images to another place or computer.