FreeFileSync is a free Open Source software that helps you synchronize files and synchronize folders for Windows, Linux and Mac OS X. It is designed to save your time setting up and running backup jobs while having nice visual feedback along the way.
Support FFS with a donation: http://www.freefilesync.org/donate.php
- Detect moved and renamed files and folders
- Copy locked files (Volume Shadow Copy Service)
- Detect conflicts and propagate deletions
- Binary file comparison
- Configure handling of Symbolic Links
- Automate sync as a batch job
- Process multiple folder pairs
- Comprehensive and detailed error reporting
- Copy NTFS security permissions
- Copy NTFS extended attributes (compressed, encrypted, sparse)
- Copy HFS+ extended attributes and ACLs
- Support long file paths with more than 260 characters
- Fail-safe file copy
- Cross-platform: Windows, Linux, Mac OS X
- Expand environment variables like %UserProfile%
- Access variable drive letters by volume name (USB sticks)
- Native 64-bit support
- Keep versions of deleted/updated files
- Prevent disc space bottlenecks via optimal sync sequence
- Full Unicode support
- Highly optimized runtime performance
- Include/exclude files via filter
- FreeFileSync portable and local installation available
- Handle daylight saving time changes on FAT/FAT32
- Use macros %time%, %date%, et al. for recurring backups
- Case-sensitive synchronization
- Built-in locking: serialize multiple jobs running against the same network share
This program has saved me years and years of work. The only reason I rated the features as good and not excellent is because I would like to see a reliable shredder built in. So when things are deleted on the destination drive the user has the option for them to be shredded and not just deleted.
Awesome program to sync files! It has quite extended features and allow quite some customization. Batch mode allows custom automation from command line (without missing features), which is very helpful for me.
UI could use some work, but otherwise an excellent tool with robust functionality. I especially appreciate the scripting capability.