# eXist-db 2.0 (final version)
The final release the eXist-db 2.0 version is now available for download from Sourceforge:
A lot has changed on the surface compared to the tech preview: the new launcher integrates with the desktop and installs a system tray icon (on those systems which support it, i.e. Windows, Mac and some Unix flavors).
The dashboard is now the central hub of eXist-db and replaces the old home screen, featuring a range of plugins and apps. The entire web content has been modularised and moved into self-contained, installable apps. Creating your own apps should be rather painless using eXide's app wizard.
We'll be happy to hear any feedback on the product.
2.0 contains numerous new features and improvements. The most notable
changes since the 1.4.x series are:
* Faster structural index (complete redesign)
* XQuery 3.0 features (e.g. try-catch, switch, higher-order functions - more to come soon)
* Tightened security model with multiple realms (LDAP/AD/OpenID...)
* Access control lists
* Improvements to XQuery optimization: more automatic rewrites
* Hot deployment of apps into a db from the application repository
* Simplified creation, setup and distribution of self-contained XQuery apps
* XQuery IDE (eXide)
* Efficient indexing of binary resources (PDF and co)
* Less memory use when processing binary values (streaming)
* New REST API based on XQuery 3.0 Annotations (project "Sleepy")
2.0 has been branched off from the development tree ("trunk").
Only bug fixes and selected improvements will be ported to the stable branch while
development continues in trunk.
Please note that the security model has changed. Applications which
worked on 1.4/1.5 might fail due to wrong permission settings (in
particular, you now need execute permissions on a collection to see
its contents). Make sure to check the documentation: