EPICS Version 4 is a software toolkit for writing control systems
EPICS Version 4 is a software toolkit for writing the control system and online scientific services of large experimental facilities.
More broadly, EPICS is a set of open source software tools, libraries and applications developed collaboratively and used worldwide to create distributed soft real-time control systems.
EPICS Version 4 (V4) brings support for managed distributed data acquisition, service oriented architecture, and complex data structures to EPICS.
The EPICS V4 Working Group is a collaborative effort to define, publish, and provide reference implementations for, the standards of the protocols and software on which EPICS V4 is based. The working group uses this SourceForge project to coordinate and distribute that work.
EPICS V4 has been in Beta since Dec 2011. Beta 2.0 was released
in November 2012.
- Supports structured control Process Variable data
- Very efficient data interconnect from devices to user level applications
- Open, well defined, communications protocol
- Supports 3-tier and Service Oriented Architecture for integrating services with control
- Adds argument passing and RPC to Process Variable channel Input/Output
- Mixed language (C++/Java/Python) support at all levels; control, services, clients
- Efficient; small memory footprint, low cpu overhead, and concise code base
- Developed in formal collaboration, as community agreed specifications and reference implementations