Restore-eeepc: A small utility to restore and backup ASUS Eee PC
Author: Chih-Wei Huang (cwhuang at linux.org.tw)
Eee PC Hacking Blog (Chinese)
License: GNU GPL
Restore-eeepc is a utility that helps you to restore and backup your
ASUS Eee PC. It is just a ramdisk that boots up very fast.
It also contains virtual console (Alt-F2/F3) and utilities like
mount, vi, cpio and chroot, so it can be used as a system rescue tool.
How to use it?
* Prepare a USB stick, with at least 30MB free space.
* Install grub to the USB stick
* Download the vmlinuz and restore.img from SourceForge:
Put the two files into the /boot directory of the USB stick.
* Add such an entry to menu.lst of grub
title Restore Eee PC
kernel /boot/vmlinuz quiet rw vga=normal irqpoll root=/dev/ram0
Also remember to enable menu and add some timeout so you can choose
* To restore your Eee PC, download an ISO from
and put it into a USB drive (not necessary the same as the booting one).
* Reboot your Eee PC, press ESC on the BIOS screen, select the USB stick
as the boot device, and choose 'Restore Eee PC' from the grub menu.
* After booting, select the device and directory that contains the ISO,
and choose Yes to restore your Eee PC.
WARNING: All existing data on Eee PC will lose after restoration.
* Press Alt-F2, Alt-F3 to switch to other virtual consoles
for debugging or rescue.
* You can create your customized ISO by the scrpit mkp701.sh
for restoration later.
If you'd like to improve restore-eeepc, get the source code by
svn co https://eeecommunity.svn.sf.net/svnroot/eeecommunity/restore-eeepc/trunk
Modify the files in the root directory, and run create.sh to generate
a new restore.img in the boot directory.
Feel free to contact me if you encounter any problem.
cwhuang at linux.org.tw
Visit my blog for more information
http://www.cwhuang.idv.tw/ (Chinese only, Sorry)