Learn how easy it is to sync an existing GitHub or Google Code repo to a SourceForge project! See Demo

Close

Zoomify Tiling Scheme and Licence issues?

2010-09-21
2013-05-02
  • Rainer Simon
    Rainer Simon
    2010-09-21

Hi all!

I've recently been working on a Java project which involves Web publishing of high-res images. ZoomifyImage seems to be pretty much the only open source option for generating Zoomify tilesets. Since, however, it's Python and we needed something more closely integrated, I spent the effort and implemented a Java tiling component. Right now, this component generates TMS tilesets (see http://wiki.osgeo.org/wiki/Tile_Map_Service_Specification).

Now my question: I would like to add support for Zoomify tiles as well and make this open source, since it might be useful to other Java developers as well. However, seeing that Zoomify is a commercial company, and their 'professional' tools are not free I'm wondering: is there any legal restriction on the Zoomify tiling scheme per se?  I read in one of the docs to ZoomifyImage that it was developed in cooperation (or at least with consent of) Zoomify: I.e. am I even allowed to build an open source tool for generating Zoomify tiles without paying royalty fees to Zoomify?

• adam smith
    adam smith
    2010-09-21

I don't pay royalty fees to Zoomify for Zoomify Image, but you may want to contact David Urbanic at Zoomify, as he can give you the definitive answer.