Learn how easy it is to sync an existing GitHub or Google Code repo to a SourceForge project! See Demo

Close

Can't Zoomify tiled TIFF image

Mike Bopf
2006-03-30
2013-05-02
  • Mike Bopf
    Mike Bopf
    2006-03-30

I'm having a problem running the ZoomifyFileProcessor on a JPG Tiled TIFF image. This image was originally created using the Aperio ScanScope, but Zoomify can process these images just fine on the PC (I'm using ZoomifyImage so I can process on UNIX). The test.jpg image works just fine. Here is my error:

python ZoomifyFileProcessor.py S-98-008954_1_2.tif
    Traceback (most recent call last):
      File "ZoomifyFileProcessor.py", line 135, in ?
        processor.ZoomifyProcess(sys.argv[1:])
      File "ZoomifyFileProcessor.py", line 127, in ZoomifyProcess
        self.processImage()
      File "/home/mbopf/bin/ZoomifyImage/ZoomifyBase.py", line 199, in processImage
        imageRow = image.crop([0, ul_y, self.originalWidth, lr_y])
      File "/usr/lib/python2.3/site-packages/PIL/Image.py", line 648, in crop
        self.load()
      File "/usr/lib/python2.3/site-packages/PIL/ImageFile.py", line 165, in load
        d = Image._getdecoder(self.mode, d, a, self.decoderconfig)
      File "/usr/lib/python2.3/site-packages/PIL/Image.py", line 307, in _getdecoder    return apply(decoder, (mode,) + args + extra)
    TypeError: function takes at least 3 arguments (2 given)

I'm running on RHEL 4, with Python 2.3.4 and PIL 1.1.4.

TIA,
    mike

• adam smith
      adam smith
      2006-03-31

Mike,

Sorry to hear about your problem. I am not sure if I have ever tested the software with a tiled tiff image, but it looks like you may be missing a library to decode tiff files (libtiff4 ?), based on the stack trace you gave.

So, let me ask, can you open tiff files in Python normally? I don't know how familiar you are with Python, or what other Python based image programs you might have used, but this can be tested using the interactive interpreter, if you are familiar with it. I would try opening the tiff file using PIL in the interactive interpreter outside of using ZoomifyImage. The outcome of this experiment may help us rule out some possible causes for the exception pretty quickly.

If you are able to open tiffs in Python using PIL by itself, I would try bringing the tiff into something like Photoshop or the Gimp and resaving it to a new file and turning ZoomifyImage loose on it to see if you get different results.

Another option is to send the image to me--assuming that you don't mind me seeing it--so that I can work with it and debug the problem. Let me know the size, and we can figure out first, if this is practical, and second, how to best deliver it.

Let me know if anything I have suggested sounds unclear. I hope this helps,
      adam
      ajs17@cornell.edu