Work at SourceForge, help us to make it a better place! We have an immediate need for a Support Technician in our San Francisco or Denver office.

Close

localhost, dcc and vhost

Help
Monk
2008-02-11
2013-06-05
  • Monk
    Monk
    2008-02-11

I'm currently playing with the following setup:
    - IRCD and ZNC on the same box
    - ZNC connecting to the IRCD over 127.0.0.1

This works sofar but once I do it DCC is broken because mirc can't get the localinfo and ZNC tries to establish a DCC connection over localhost.
    Next thing I tried is to set the IP of the box as Vhost in ZNC. Now mirc gets the correct localinfo. When I try to send or receive a file now by DCC it *seems* that the connection is established, there is no timeout or whatsoever but no data is actually send or received.

This behaviour pretty much confuses me :p
    Is there a way to make a setup where ZNC connects over localhost work with DCC?

Regards,

Monk

• Psychon
      Psychon
      2008-02-12

hi,

mIRC (and many other clients) get there ip address from server replies (I don't know which one exactly).
      If you connect through a bouncer like ZNC the client might think it has ZNC's ip and thus uses this ip for DCC.
      Try setting your ip address in the mIRC options.

Besides this: Are you doing a DCC with ZNC (I guess not)? Or does ZNC just bounce the DCC? Is ZNC even involved (BounceDCC = false)?

No idea why no data is transfered... (You connected to ZNC, but ZNC didn't manage to connect to the other peer? You would get a message from *status)

psychon

• Monk
      Monk
      2008-05-06

I tried to simplify the setup but I can't get it working that ZNC stops bouncing DCC sends.

- ZNC runs on IP_A
      - Connects to a different leaf on IP_B
      - My mIRC runs on IP_C

Regardless which combination of "BounceDCCs" and "DCCLookupMethod" lookup method I try, the DCC sends are always bounced. Per default mIRC fetches IP_A as localinfo for DCC. Even when I manually enter my own internet connection IP (IP_C) DCC gets bounced over ZNC. Currentyl I run a SVN revision somewhere around r1000.
      Any help would be appreciated.

Regards,

Monk

• Psychon
        Psychon
        2008-05-06

Well, if you have BounceDCCs = false, ZNC shouldn't bounce anything.
        And if you enter your own IP (IP_C) manually in mIRC, I don't really see how this can happen...

Oh and if you have BounceDCCs = false, DCCLookupMethod isn't used at all.

So I'd say: BounceDCCs = false and you are set. No idea why this doesn't work :(