Menu

Linux dependencies

William
2012-04-13
2013-05-28
  • William

William - 2012-04-13

Greetings ZDT,

I really like your program but after reading the readme and checking to see make sure I had all the dependencies installed in Ubuntu 11.10 I would click on the app and nothing I would try to launch it the console and nothing. Literally nothing the console just went on to the the next terminal entry with the cursor blinking patiently for me to type something else. Being a Java applet I understand the loners life being a standalone app, but shouldn't there be some feedback or error message?

I have updated my system to Kubuntu 12.04 now and just downloaded it again and I'm going to try again right now.  Nothing here either. The Konsole response to ./zdt is:
    bash: ./zdt: cannot execute binary file

What I was going to suggest was Launchpad has Ubuntu and other Linux software dependencie listings with HTML links so you know exactly what your getting. Another source for distribution is the Synaptic package handler repositories and I am currently using Muon. I used Muon to make sure I Java 6 JRE run environment and search for all the other but some of them like Glib there are hundreds of glib libraries. The one that surprised me most was the True type which I presume is true type font handler. When I look it up there are only a handful and non of the specifically called True Type N.N.N(I forget the version number right now.)

Just a suggestion for making it easier to find the dependencies. 

So far as getting up and running with my newness to Linux is so extreme and I don't know if something can't be launched from the Download Folder or not. I figured java is java where ever it is.

Cheers,
    William
    p.s. I have  not got my IME working yet in this system and so far it seems very obtuse to its workings, I have to install the whole system language packet but can't find any controls for the IMEs.

• William

William - 2012-04-13

I forgot to mention I was trying to launch 0.9.0 b version.

• kaya

kaya - 2013-05-06

Are you running a 32 Bit computer or 32 Bit OS? ZDT's Linux version is 64 Bit, thus incompatible to 32 Bit.