General Questions on ZBar barcode scanner

iPhone App
2011-09-15
2013-02-02
  • Hi there,

I'm currently investigating which barcode scanner tool to use, to be incorporated into a Enterprise/Retail based App. This App is being developed for customers to search for products in the App and in-store, and the ability to purchase items via a Shopping Cart feature.

The Questions I had around ZBar barcode scanner include:

1. Just to confirm a few things - this is a free tool, open source with licensing requirements?
    2. Because this package has a licence agreement do I need to inform you of the user base?
    3. Do I need to submit our product catalogue?
    4. How responsive and reliable is this tool?
    5. Can it interact with other parts of the App, i.e. such as add items to Shopping Cart?

Looking forward to your responses.

• spadix
    spadix
    2011-09-16

> 1. Just to confirm a few things - this is a free tool, open source with licensing requirements?

Yes.  The SDK license (LGPL 2.1) is readily available and the information we can provide about licensing is in the SDK documentation.  It is up to your and your lawyers to determine whether that works for you.

> 2. Because this package has a licence agreement do I need to inform you of the user base?
    > 3. Do I need to submit our product catalogue?

No and no - I don't understand where those questions come from or what we would even do with such data…

> 4. How responsive and reliable is this tool?

That is for you to evaluate.  To help you with this, we provide the ZBar app on the App Store, which uses the latest SDK, as well as several sample projects that you can build.

fwiw- The SDK is used in many App Store apps and a few enterprise apps that I know of.

> 5. Can it interact with other parts of the App, i.e. such as add items to Shopping Cart?

All the SDK does is feed barcode data to your app - what you do with that is completely up to you.