x264 encode?

2006-09-03
2013-04-24
  • Hi,
    Thanks for this great application. It's great. Thanks.
    I think it would be nice if you could encode with x264 codec cause I think it's a great codec...
    What do you think?
    Thanks again,
    Miguel.

• Hi there,
      glad you like it.

To be honest, I wouldn't be able to tell x264 apart from other ones.

If you can elaborate on why this is cool, you might want to open a feature request through the sourceforge tool. Then, if you can convince me ;) and ffmpeg can do it, it should be easy to add.

Karl.

• It is a very cool codec -- the quality better than mpeg4 at the same compression rates, and it's gradually replacing both mpeg2 and mpeg4 in the marketplace. However, it's extremely CPU intensive, and since xvidcap is already taxing on the CPU, it's not necessarily the best choice.

David

• Hehe :)
      Thanks for the reply Karl.

I did just want a video codec that it opens right in a quicktime player. But I've done a few test and the mpeg4 codec in a quicktime format works like a charm for me.

Thank you again. Xvidcap really rocks.

• Eitan Suez
      Eitan Suez
      2007-11-24

i just stumbled across xvidcap.  after trying recordmydesktop and istanbul and a bunch of
      other screencasting apps.  i have to say xvidcap is by far the best.  thank you!
      (given this, i am a little puzzled why the others are all in the ubuntu repositories
        and this one is not).

on macosx i've used ishowu before.  i don't know much about video encoding.  the one thing
      that appears to stand out about h.264 is the file sizes appear to be dramatically smaller
      compared to other encodings.
      that would be the reason i would want h.264 support in xvidcap.

by the way i'm using version 1.1.6 on ubuntu (i downloaded the .deb file).  i don't
      see gvidcap there.  i'm assuming the two programs have been collapsed back into one?
      since the xvidcap ui looks very nice to me and has everything i need.

again thank you.

sincerely,
      / eitan suez
      austin, texas

• Hi Eitan,

you're reight, xvidcap and gvidcap have collapsed again ... or perhaps more correctly: The old xvidcap UI has disappeared.

As for h.264 and David's remark about CPU load, what kind of framerates are you currently able to achieve?

Karl.

• Eitan Suez
      Eitan Suez
      2007-11-25

hi karl,

i went ahead and did a 55 second recording with this application
        for macosx called iShwowU.

here are the recording settings:
          frames per second:  30
          recording area: 500x500 pixels
          audio quality:  high (44.1 khz)
          video quality:  high (options were min/low/normal/high/lossless/max)
          compression: h.264

the resulting file size was:  1.6 MB (1,633,655 bytes)

in my judgement both the video and audio quality were
        quite satisfactory.

i hope this gives you some information to compare against.

thanks, / eitan

• No, what I meant was: What kind of framerate can you achieve with xvidcap?
        Now that you've provided numbers for iShowU, number achieved with the same hardware would be best. I'm trying to evluate how much sense it would make to add a more resource-hungry codec for live encoding. Now, if it turns out current hardware can easily handle it, that would tip the scales a little. Otherwise it might make more sense to learn how to profile C programs (smth. I've been meaning to do for quite a while ... if anybody volunteers to teach me, that'd be welcome) first to find spots for speeding up xvidcap.

Karl.