Using WinCVS to get the latest XVCL source

Help
Oleg Sych
2001-11-26
2001-11-26
  • Oleg Sych
    Oleg Sych
    2001-11-26

You can use WinCVS to get the latest XVCL source code directly from our CVS tree at sourceforge.

Using WinCVS 1.3 (I'm using the latest 1.3 beta from cvsgui.org - it is a little bit better than  last "stable" version 1.2)

* Go to Admin/Preferences/General
      - Authentication: pserver
      - Path: /cvsroot/xvcl
      - Host address: cvs.xvcl.sourceforge.net
      - User name: anonymous
      - CVSROOT (leave unchanged)
      - Click OK.
    * Go to Create/Checkout Module
      - Module name: "." (just one dot symbol - no quotation marks, just like in DOS it means current directory). You should
    get the whole CVS tree of XVCL. You probably don't care about the web site files, so you can enter "XVCL" instead to get
    just the source files.
      - Local folder: specify where you want CVS repository to be created on your computer.
      - Click OK. If everything is correct you should see cvs command line window pop up and in the log window in WinCVS you
    should see something like this:

cvs -z9 checkout -P . (in directory D:\Tests\XVCL)
    cvs server: Updating .
    cvs server: Updating CVSROOT
    U CVSROOT/checkoutlist
    U CVSROOT/commitinfo
    U CVSROOT/config
    U CVSROOT/cvsignore
    U CVSROOT/cvswrappers

Once checkout command execution is finished - you should have the latest version on your local hard drive at the
    location you specified. After that, when you need to get the latest updates - just start WinCVS, rightclick any
    directory you want to update (on the Modules tab of the left panel) and pick "Update Selection" menu item - it's the
    same as checkout, only works for CVS repository that's already on your local computer.

Here is a couple of links that I found usefull when learning about CVS and sourceforge:
    * An Introductory Guide to Using SourceForge for Windows Development (describes CVS/SSH/SCP - everything you need to
    take advantage of all SourceForge features)
    https://sourceforge.net/docman/display_doc.php?docid=766&group_id=1
    * Open Source Development with CVS by Karl Fogel (this is a good book about CVS in general. I found it very useful
    because CVS is quite different from Visual Source Safe, which is what I was used to. I used only the free chapters
    available online, but still want to buy the actual book sometimes - it should have some nice extra chapters).
    http://cvsbook.red-bean.com
    * cvsgui.org also has a nice FAQ about using WinCVS and in particular, troubleshooting WinCVS with SSH authentication.
    Their web site is down right now, so I can't tell you the exact URL, but you should have no problem finding it.