Is "-xkbmap" parameter working in X11rdp ?

Xserver
Ajut
2007-12-18
2013-06-05
  • Ajut
    Ajut
    2007-12-18

Hi

With help of this thread -> http://www.linuxquestions.org/questions/linux-server-73/xrdp-authenticates-but-does-not-load-x-server-rdp-592138/
    I compiled X11rdp server, but stuck with keyboard layout issues.

I compiled XKB MAP to get custom keyboard layout working in X11rdp, but if I try to load it,
    I always get "(EE) Error opening keymap file ./keymap.xkm, reverting to
    defaults" (see sample below).

xrdp-0.4.0
    x11rdp_xorg71
    linux xyz 2.6.22-14-generic #1 SMP Sun Oct 14 23:05:12 GMT 2007 i686 GNU/Linux
    Kubutnu 7.10
    rdesktop 1.5.0-2

---
    rdesktop -a 16 -u username -g 1027x768 -k et -n temp -b -N -z -x  x.y.z:4002
    ---

X11rdp is compiled, using default options in "buildx.sh" (only font path is changed).

Is it possible, that "-xkbmap" is not developed yet, or I need to
    setup some special parameters in configuration phase, to turn it on?

BTW: rdesktop knows ET keymap, but if I connect to "sesman", there seems to by US-EN layout only.
    When I use DE layout, then I get special chars (like öäü etc)  "username" line in  "sesman", but
    after X11rdp is running, there is only US-EN :(

So my problem is, that I don't have glue, how to get ET (or similar) keyboard working in sesman+X11rdp
    combination. Is it even possible in that development stage of X11rdp?

BR,
    Ajut

---
    allan@xyz:~/sh$ file ./keymap.xkm
    ./keymap.xkm: Compiled XKB Keymap: lsb, version 15
    allan@xyz:~/sh
    ---

---
    allan@xyz:~/sh$ /usr/bin/X11rdp -xkbmap ./keymap.xkm  :11
    screen width 800 height 600 depth 8 bpp 8
    dpix 100 dpiy 100
    buffer size 480000
    hi rdpMouseProc
    hi PtrDeviceInit
    hi PtrDeviceControl
    hi rdpKeybdProc
    hi KbdDeviceInit
    (EE) Error opening keymap file ./keymap.xkm, reverting to defaults
    hi rdpMouseProc
    hi PtrDeviceOn
    hi rdpKeybdProc
    hi KbdDeviceOn
    Could not init font path element /usr/share/fonts/X11//TTF/, removing from list!
    Could not init font path element /usr/share/fonts/X11//OTF, removing from list!
    Could not init font path element /usr/share/fonts/X11//CID/, removing from list!
    hi rdpKeybdProc
    hi KbdDeviceOff
    hi rdpMouseProc
    hi PtrDeviceOff
    FreeFontPath: FPE "/usr/share/fonts/X11//misc/" refcount is 2, should be 1; fixing.
    allan@xyz:~/sh$
    ---

• Rascal
      Rascal
      2008-12-09

Hi!

I'm suffering from the exact same problem. Keyboard layout issues are very annoying for sure. Anyway, do an strace on the X11rdp (strace -o /tmp/logfile.txt /usr/bin/X11rdp -xkbmap ./keymap.xkm :11) to see where it tries to load the keymap from. I think mine was loading from /var/tmp and then I had to leave out the extension for the keymap file. Anyway it did not fix my keyboard issues. :(

For some reason when connecting from linux/solaris with rdesktop most of the important keys are ok (I can live with few keys missing), but when connecting from any Windows based computer all the ALT+<1-9> keys are missing which is very annoying.

Let me know if you can come up with any half-decent solution.

Br,

- Rascal

• randolf carter
    randolf carter
    2009-10-28

Try to launch your desktop session in startwm.sh script  like gnome or xfce with the locale variables adjusted, for example source profile in it. Later, in your gnome session, adjust the keyboard, if it isn't yet.
    With my spanish keyboard there is no problem.
    The critic variables are: LANG=es_ES.UTF-8 and LANGUAGE=es_ES@euro

Adjust to your locales.

In the login window, the key is to use an  km-&lt;iso code&gt;-ini that is loaded regarding your keyboard client is saying to server.

regards