Learn how easy it is to sync an existing GitHub or Google Code repo to a SourceForge project! See Demo

Close

Multiple user sessions with the same user

xrdp
2008-02-09
2013-06-05
  • Hello,

I need to connect to an xrdp server, using one Linux user, but with a different session each. For example, user A connects to xrdp server 192.168.0.100 using user "chap", user B connects to the same IP using the same user, "chap". Internally, could the xrdp server start two different Xvnc sessions, one for each client, and not sharing the same desktop? How could this be done? What parameter would I need to pass in the config files? Or maybe is there a patch to apply to the source code?

Thank you very much.

Juan

• tag
    tag
    2013-01-16

Juan,

I know this thread is old, but did you ever find a solution for this? I need the same thing. Only way I've found is to define different screen resolutions - then it will spawn a new desktop for the same user - but that's not really a solution.

Thanks.

• t0ma
    t0ma
    2013-02-06

I think it is hardly possible. The main feature of (X)RDP is to have a session for a user which session can be reached anywhere. You want to achieve something that is not the purpose of RDP.
    What should happen if user A is disconnected for whatever reason? If he tries to reconnect, should the server log him in in the previous session he started, to the session of user B, or should the server start a new session for him? How should the server know when to start a new session, or when to search within existing session?
    On the other hand, there are some parameters for the X11rdp server. Take a look on them as some might help you.

• tag
    tag
    2013-02-06

Thanks, tcsabina. I get what you're saying. I have looked the parameters through, but not finding anything useful. I had hoped you could define a parameter that would spawn a new session when logging in concurrently. Basically, it's because I'm lazy. I need maybe up to 60 users to be able to log in remotely from various locations around the country and get the same desktop environment. By using the same user account I had hoped this would work. Instead I probably just have to create 60 user accounts and setup the desktop environment for each account…
    Besides the point that the users would be battling for control of the mouse, I need the sessions to be seperate, as i use $DISPLAY to grep some port numbers in a text file and then launch an application with these port numbers as parameters. Again to seperate instances of the application.

Regards…