Menu

Categories

Anonymous
2013-01-18
2013-04-22
  • Anonymous

Anonymous - 2013-01-18

First of all: It's really great that categories work! Some comments:

• I think it's strange to sort the content by size. Even if you don't store the sort key it should be at least possible to sort them alphabetically by title as it is done in the search. Also separate the subcategories from the other entries.
    • Have a look at the file project-date-categorylinks.sql.gz that can be downloaded along with the XML-dump. This file contains information about which page is in which category, even for those pages where the category is set via template. Perhaps you can use that file instead of parsing all pages for categories.
    • Is there any reason why you format the categories as table and not as list as MediaWiki does?

• gnosygnu

gnosygnu - 2013-01-19

It's really great that categories work!

Thanks! I'm surprised that neither WikiTaxi (nor Kiwix) tries to do more to support them.

I think it's strange to sort the content by size.

I agree. I was trying to do something like Search's Sort by Size (which is also a hack). Both scenarios were meant to bring the most "relevant" article to the top where my only metric for relevance was page size. This behavior is sort of okay for Search, but is strange for Category.

Also separate the subcategories from the other entries.

Noted. Will fix.

[out of order] Is there any reason why you format the categories as table and not as list as MediaWiki does?

No reason. I built the Categories HTML section without looking at MediaWiki's (laziness). I have generally simple HTML design instincts/skills and I find tables easier than lists (tables allowing for more precise formatting without having to delve into CSS). That said, I will change categories to use MediaWiki's list format

Out of curiosity, how noticeable/annoying is the table vs list?

even for those pages where the category is set via template

That's great!! I knew about this dump, but it never occurred to me that it would store template-generated categories there (and, as you noted, XOWA does not show those categories)

I think this will take me some time to integrate it (a few weeks at least) but I will try to make it near future, as it's been annoying me for a while.

I'll address the other points above at the same time.

• Anonymous

Anonymous - 2013-01-21

Out of curiosity, how noticeable/annoying is the table vs list?

The table causes much empty space between the categories. An extreme example is de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lois Long with "Autor" above "Wikipedia:Artikel-Feedback/Artikel des Tages oder Schon gewusst".

Also separate the subcategories from the other entries.

Noted. Will fix.

The same probably should be done for images, to be consistent with Mediawiki. --Schnark

• gnosygnu

gnosygnu - 2013-01-21

Thanks for the Lois Long example. I see what you mean. I'll fix this separately for v0.2.2 or v0.2.3 (since it's much easier than redoing all categories)

The same probably should be done for images

Sorry, but I don't think I understand. Categories can show images?

• Anonymous

Anonymous - 2013-01-22

The same probably should be done for images

Sorry, but I don't think I understand. Categories can show images?

See https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/Category:Literature_of_Germany for example. The 3 pages should be listed separately from the images, since otherwise it's probably hard to find them among the images. Whether you display the images rather than just listing them is up to you. --Schnark

• gnosygnu

gnosygnu - 2013-01-22

Thanks for the example. I see what you mean.

I'll try to display the images as a gallery. It may take quite a while, so it may not happen till v3.0 or later.

• gnosygnu

gnosygnu - 2013-04-22

I'm moving this item to resolved. Two of the items are resolved (use list for page categories; show mediawiki-like category view). The last item (integration of the project-date-categorylinks.sql.gz) will be tracked in a new ticket.

Anonymous
Anonymous

Add attachments
Cancel