No 32-bit support in latest Java on OSX

Defects
Anonymous
2013-11-21
2013-12-15

• Anonymous
    2013-11-21

Oracle only offers 64-bit versions of 1.7 for MacOSX and those versions don't support the "-d32" option. Don't know what happened; every other platform still has 32-bit support.

When I try "java -d32" I get:

Error: This Java instance does not support a 32-bit JVM.
    Please install the desired version.

• gnosygnu
    gnosygnu
    2013-11-28

Hi!

First, let me express my sincerest apologies for not replying earlier. I was expecting Sourceforge to list the latest post in the left hand summary, so I didn't see this post until I happened to visit it today. Thank you for being persistent and following up.

Here's link to an Apple site that points to Java SE 6 which can tide OSX users over until xowa supports 64-bit Java:

Yes, that is the only course of action now. As background, I don't have a Mac OS X box, and the only one I have access to was running 32-bit Java. The 32-bit one does work, but it's not ideal, especially as you point out that Oracle now offers 64-bit versions only.

I'll put together a 64-bit Mac OS X package for this weekend's release. I can't test it though, so it's a bit of hit-or-miss. I would greatly appreciate it if you give it a try and let me how it fares.

Thanks!

• gnosygnu
    gnosygnu
    2013-12-01

I added a 64-bit Mac OS X package for v0.12.0. I actually managed to do some limited testing on it, and it works (OS X 10.9).

Thanks again for the report.

• Anonymous
      2013-12-02

I am also running successfully with OSX 10.9, Java SE 7 and the 64-bit version of V0.12.0.

Thanks!!!

• gnosygnu
        gnosygnu
        2013-12-02

Cool! Thanks for the confirm.

I usually like to give credit for reporting a defect in the XOWA change log. Let me know if you want your nickname to show up next to the XOWA build log entry.

• Anselm D
    Anselm D
    2013-12-13

I think you need the -d32/d64 options only for a 32/64-bit hybrid JDK.

Oracle gives a hint in the Oracle Weblogic installation documentation:

"...
    (UNIX or Linux only) Include the -d64 flag in the installation command when using a 32/64-bit hybrid JDK (such as for the HP-PA, HPIA, and Solaris64 platforms).
    ..."

Running the Installation Program in Graphical Mode - 12c Release 1 (12.1.1)
    http://docs.oracle.com/cd/E24329_01/doc.1211/e24492/guimode.htm

• gnosygnu
      gnosygnu
      2013-12-14

Hmm.... That's interesting. I really don't want to add another sh file for 32/64 hybrid (xowa_macosx_hybrid.sh), as it would be confusing.

How about adding a note to the readme.txt?

• Anselm D
        Anselm D
        2013-12-14

Is it really necessary to force java to start in 32 or 64 bit mode?
        Maybe you should take the default. And if you like to know, if you can use the 32 of 64 bit third party sofware, you can determine it, i hope so with:
        System.getProperty("os.arch");

• gnosygnu
          gnosygnu
          2013-12-15

Is it really necessary to force java to start in 32 or 64 bit mode?

When I tested on a 32-bit Mac OSX JRE, I needed to pass in a -d32, or else the application failed

When I tested later on a 64-bit Mac OSX JRE, the -d64 actually caused the app to fail. Omitting it worked.

I'm not sure why they behave differently. Also, I don't have a Mac OS X machine, so I can only do limited testing on another's machine.

Do you have regular access to a Mac OS X machine? If you do, and can verify that certain combinations of args / bitness work, let me know, and I'll change the Mac OS X scripts accordingly.

System.getProperty("os.arch");

Thanks. I'm using that now to redirect to the bin directories (for example: the linux builds use /xowa/bin/linux, whereas the linux_64 builds use /xowa/bin/linux_64)

• Anselm D
            Anselm D
            2013-12-15

When I tested on a 32-bit Mac OSX JRE, I needed to pass in a -d32, or else the application failed

OK, i would not have expect it.
            If you have in future trouble with it, you can check it in the shell script before you start xowa.
            do a
            java -d64 -version
            and ask for error code in the batch script. if the error code says, it does not work, try a
            java -version
            and check the error code

Do you have regular access to a Mac OS X machine? If you do, and can verify that certain combinations of args / bitness work, let me know, and I'll change the Mac OS X scripts accordingly.

Sorry, i do not have regular access o a Mac OS X machine

Last edit: Anselm D 2013-12-15
            • gnosygnu
              gnosygnu
              2013-12-15

If you have in future trouble with it, you can check it in the shell script

Sorry. I only have access to one Mac OS X machine, and it is no longer on a 32-bit JRE. Can't test your proposal, but will keep it in mind.

Sorry, i do not have regular access o a Mac OS X machine

Thanks for the confirm. So you're in the same boat as me. :)

Anonymous

Cancel   Add attachments