Menu

Xowa x64 with program path containing non english character is not working

Defects
Anonymous
2014-09-01
2014-09-27
  • Anonymous

Anonymous - 2014-09-01

First I would thank you for the great nice app ..

This is notice for those using Xowa x64 and having some troubles.

I am using windows 8.1 x64 version with Java both x32 and x64 versions installed.
    I have downloaded the Xowa 64 version and installed it to "D:\موسوعات\Xowa"; Yes the Path contained non english -Arabic- characters.

It did not work and got the error "class java.lang.NullPointerException null <java.lang.NullPointerException>"

Trying to solve it, I downloaded the Xowa x32 version and extracted it to the same location -with non english character in path- and it worked !!
    Also the x64 version woeked on moving to "D:\Xowa" -to location with path clear from non english character-
    I do not know if it is a small bug in the x64 bit but it's easy. Just try to change the location if you faced this small problem.

• gnosygnu

gnosygnu - 2014-09-02

Hi! Thanks for the feedback, and glad you like XOWA!

Your error report was excellent. Kudos on figuring it out on your own!

With regards to the issue, there are actually 2 bugs:

• SWT (a component that XOWA uses) doesn't handle Arabic characters on Windows machines. I was able to narrow this down to a simple test case and reproduced it on my machine. You can reproduce it on your machine by opening up a command-line and running "java -jar xowa_windows.jar". You'll see an error message at the top with "Exception in thread "main" org.eclipse.swt.SWTError: XPCOM error 0x80004005".

I filed a bug report with SWT here: https://bugs.eclipse.org/bugs/show_bug.cgi?id=443044 . However, until SWT fixes it, there isn't any workaround, except to use English characters.

• If XOWA fails to load the first time, XOWA will throw a NullPointerException error the second time it tries to load. This is a bug that will be fixed next week in the next version: v1.9.2. It doesn't really help the situation above, but at least it will be less confusing.

I usually like to give credit to users for finding bugs. You'd get a line in the XOWA change log with something like "Install: XOWA sometimes fails to load with a NullPointerException {detected by anonymous}.". Let me know if you want to be referred to with a nickname.

Thanks again!

• Ahmad Swylem

Ahmad Swylem - 2014-09-02

Hi Mr gnosygnu! Thanks for Reply!
    I am glad to hear this from you. I wish it helped..
    I am waiting to see the next version of Xowa soon after SWT bug is fixed and of course the NullPointerException error. I noticed it in an old install ,also saw many users complained it.

Please, Let us see more success on developing your nice app :)

Last edit: Ahmad Swylem 2014-09-02
  • gnosygnu

gnosygnu - 2014-09-03

Hey, thanks for the follow-up!

I wish it helped..

Yup, it sure did! I try to do a high-level review of the Arabic wikis, but it's hard to catch environmental factors like this. (Besides, I don't know Arabic!) It really helps when someone takes the time to point it out.

I am waiting to see the next version of Xowa soon after SWT bug is fixed and of course the NullPointerException error.

Yup. Once SWT posts any updates, I'll follow-up in this thread. Sometimes, it takes SWT a while, so you may have to be patient.

Please, Let us see more success on developing your nice app :)

Will do so. Thanks for the encouragement!

Also, let me know if you want to be cited in the Change Log as per above. If not, no worries. I just like to try to recognize the efforts of others.

• Ahmad Swylem

Ahmad Swylem - 2014-09-03

I use Xowa now using english named folder and of course I am waiting for updates :)

Also, let me know if you want to be cited in the Change Log as per above. If not, no worries. I just like to try to recognize the efforts of others.

That's a good manner of you. For me, I prefer you leave it as you suggested "{detected by anonymous}" Let users know that any one can share in making this app better :)

Last edit: Ahmad Swylem 2014-09-26
      • gnosygnu

gnosygnu - 2014-09-27

Yeah, it may be a while. Someone from the SWT team was able to reproduce it. However, no word on any timeline for fixing.

Things with SWT tend to be slower...

• gnosygnu

gnosygnu - 2014-09-04

For me, I prefer you leave it as you suggested "{detected by anonymous}"

Ok! Will do. Thanks for the follow-up!

Anonymous
Anonymous

Add attachments
Cancel