LUAJ engine on Windows Vista

Defects
prsdm
2014-03-21
2014-03-22
  • prsdm
    prsdm
    2014-03-21

The LUAJ engine is much faster on Windows Vista than the LUA engine (a few seconds versus several minutes to bring up a page!). Many thanks for this great improvement! One thing I noticed which I thought it would be worthwhile to mention: when using the LUAJ engine, numbers on some pages are displayed with a dozen or more decimal places. So, for example on the page en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tomato, it says:

The tomato belongs to the nightshade family, Solanaceae.[1][3] The plants typically grow to 1–3 meters (3.2808398950131–9.8425196850393 ft) in height and have a weak stem that often sprawls over the ground and vines over other plants. It is a perennial in its native habitat, although often grown outdoors in temperate climates as an annual. An average common tomato weighs approximately 100 grams (3.5273961949580 oz).[4][5]

If I run it with the LUA engine it has:

The tomato belongs to the nightshade family, Solanaceae.[1][3] The plants typically grow to 1–3 meters (3–10 ft) in height and have a weak stem that often sprawls over the ground and vines over other plants. It is a perennial in its native habitat, although often grown outdoors in temperate climates as an annual. An average common tomato weighs approximately 100 grams (4 oz).[4][5]

I will keep an eye out and see if I can find any other issues. Thanks, again!

• gnosygnu
    gnosygnu
    2014-03-21

The LUAJ engine is much faster on Windows Vista than the LUA engine (a few seconds versus several minutes to bring up a page!). Many thanks for this great improvement!

Great! Thanks for the feedback!! I was hoping some brave soul would try it, and I'm glad you did. (You were one of the users I had in mind when I made this build.)

I've been doing other testing, and it is faster on several pages, by about 50%-70%. It sounds like its several hundred percent for you. I guess the lua binary on Vista really has issues...

One thing I noticed which I thought it would be worthwhile to mention: when using the LUAJ engine, numbers on some pages are displayed with a dozen or more decimal places.

Excellent discovery! And thanks for the side-by-side comparison.

I debugged it now, and it looks like luaj did not implement format for double (it's marked with a TODO). Rounding doesn't work -- hence the superfluous precision. I can work around it with a hack, and will release that for this upcoming Monday.

I will keep an eye out and see if I can find any other issues.

Okay. Just so you know, I've been working on other performance improvements throughout the week. I even have a possible performance improvement for the regular lua engine, though I suspect that luaj will still be faster on Vista.

Also, I had you down as dmg before: https://sourceforge.net/p/xowa/discussion/defects/thread/2fa1a2f6/#0316. Shall I change this now to prsdm?

Thanks again for the report! Really appreciate it!

• prsdm
    prsdm
    2014-03-21

Great, thanks! I will look forward to checking out the performance improvements for the regular LUA engine, but I think that you are right that LUAJ will continue to outperform. And, you can leave it as dmg for me. Thanks, again!

• gnosygnu
      gnosygnu
      2014-03-22

! I will look forward to checking out the performance improvements for the regular LUA engine, but I think that you are right that LUAJ will continue to outperform.

Ok. Just so you know, I made one backward-incompatible change for the new release. If you have luaj selected as the default engine, the new release will default back to lua. You'll have to re-select luaj as the default once again (and only once again). I reworked the options page, and ended up changing the setting name.

And, you can leave it as dmg for me.

Cool. Thanks for confirming.

Anonymous

Cancel   Add attachments