tanyeun
2010-01-10
2013-03-05
  • tanyeun
    tanyeun
    2010-01-10

I installed xournal via apt-get
    but I like to try the newest version of xournal
    is there any ways that I could compile xournal without conflict my original one?

thx,

David

• 2010-01-10

How about compiling it and placing the executable in /usr/local/bin? Seems the way to go to me.

• tanyeun
    tanyeun
    2010-01-10

after compilation
    it will replace the original one

• tanyeun
    tanyeun
    2010-01-10

I tried to write my own Makefile to compile
    but can not solve the linker error
    such as,
    main.c:51: undefined reference to `init_config_default'
    undefined reference to `load_config_from_file'
    …….
    collect2: ld returned 1 exit status
    make: ***  Error 1

any suggestions?

• schmolch
    schmolch
    2010-01-10

It does not overwrite /usr/bin/xournal unless you tell it to (with ./autogen.sh -prefix=/usr).
    However, when it puts the executable into /usr/local/bin it will by default launch this version when you select Xournal from your Desktop-Menu. To launch to original /usr/bin/xournal you have to tell it to start /usr/bin/xournal and not just xournal.

• tanyeun
    tanyeun
    2010-01-10

I see, thx

• Rodney Mullan
    Rodney Mullan
    2010-09-27

Thanks very much for the thread. I have installed ubuntu lucid on my x41 tablet and have been using the included version of Xournal as a OneNote replacement. I would really like to try some of the patches but I don't know how apply packages or compile from sources. If anyone has already created an excutable would it be possible to post it so that i can copy it to my /usr/local/bin? Alternatively a little help on what tools and libraries must be installed to compile the source would be much apprecaited. Thanks and apologies for the newbie questions.