Learn how easy it is to sync an existing GitHub or Google Code repo to a SourceForge project! See Demo

Close

Buttons switch mappings

Help
Anonymous
2012-10-19
2013-03-05

• Anonymous
    2012-10-19

I use python-whiteboard and xournal in my eighth grade math class with great success. I can scan anything, save as a pdf, work on it, export as a new pdf. It allows me to save and send copies of notes to absent students.

(python-whiteboard uses the IR camera in a wii game system remote to sense the location of an IR pen and transmit that information via bluetooth to the computer for display via an LCD projector. The IR pen acts as a one-button mouse.)

Life is good.

python-whiteboard allows me to define regions of the screen to be right, left or center click, but I can't get xournal to actually switch from, say, pen to highlighter by clicking in the correct zone. xournal will change tool, but only for the duration of the click. So I can't click on the right side to change to highlighter, then click and highlight elsewhere, as when I release the click that should change to highlitgher, it switches back to pen.

Bug or feature? Can a change the behavior? Can I move the tool bar to the bottom? I'm short, and reaching the top of the projection screen at almost nine feet is more than I can manage. I can always shrink the xournal window, but that deteats the purpose of having a projector and a big screen everyone can see.

• Denis Auroux
    Denis Auroux
    2012-10-20

The behavior of the "buttons switch mappings" option is indeed not the one you want for your use case - it was made for tablet devices where one actually gets a right click when pressing the button + a left click on top of it when pressing the pen on the screen.  Changing what it does would require a bit of coding - not insanely complicated, but more than I have time for right now.

Moving the toolbar to the bottom is a lot easier: edit the configuration file .xournal/config, look for the line that says
    interface_order=menu main_toolbar pen_toolbar drawarea statusbar
    and change it to a different order, for example
    interface_order=menu drawarea main_toolbar pen_toolbar statusbar

There's another line that similarly controls the fullscreen mode. On my system I've left the "normal" interface_order unchanged but I've switched to
    interface_fullscreen=drawarea main_toolbar pen_toolbar

Hope this helps,
    Denis

• Jim
    Jim
    2012-10-20

Maybe I should have started a new thread, but since you mentioned the drawing order…
    Given the current preference for wide-but-short screens, there are things to be said for putting buttons and other controls down one side or the other, leaving as much vertical space as possible for writing and annotating.

I know you're a busy guy :-), but any chance of adding that possibility to yout to-do list?
    This would be particularly nice in some situations.  For example, when I am using xournal to show PDF slides in my class, I use xrandr to map the middle 80% (+/-) of my screen to the projector, in order to maintain the correct aspect ratio.  If the buttons and things were on the sides, I could use them without cluttering the projector's display.

Cheers.

Jim

• Anonymous
    2012-10-23

Thanks for the quick reply. I've changed the location and order of the tool bar to the bottom, and that does most of what I need. At least I can reach without a stepladder!