SVN/CVS version and plugins

• I was just wondering about the current SVN and CVS version of Xournal and whether or not they include the various patches and plugins for various functionality that have been written since the last release in 2009.

Is there any way of getting a list of recommended/stable patches or plugins and a release of Xournal which features those?

• Denis Auroux
    Denis Auroux

The SVN repository contains a development preview of the next-generation xournal (tentatively called xournalpp / xournal++). It does not correspond to xournal.

The CVS repository contains code that only has a very limited number of patches included, mostly those that fix important bugs or add language translations, but not those that add features.  This one, or the stock 0.4.5 release, is the starting point for applying patches.

The two most popular patches are probably the "image" patch (including bitmap images on the page) and the "autosave" patch (autosave documents), but there are many other interesting ones too. They haven't been included in the CVS due to my lack of time to review the code carefully for quality - this means that, while I think it's fair to call these two patches "recommended", I cannot personally vouch for them being "stable" - although the existence of multiple successive revisions suggests that they've been cleaned up and should now work pretty well.

If stability is your main criterion, rather than features, go with the CVS version, it's the most stable and least buggy out there.

If you want to try it out, the latest version of the image patch is at
    There are multiple autosave patches, and I'm not sure I know which one to recommend.