Work at SourceForge, help us to make it a better place! We have an immediate need for a Support Technician in our San Francisco or Denver office.

Close

Bluetooth crashes Xournal

2011-11-16
2013-03-05
  • Before I switched off the Bluetooth module in my Thinkpad X41T, Xournal crashed sooner or later (likewise in Ubuntu and Debian). This  occured to me after looking into syslog:

Oct 29 16:42:06 ibm kernel:  hci_link_tx_to: hci0 link tx timeout
    Oct 29 16:42:06 ibm kernel:  hci_link_tx_to: hci0 killing stalled connection 00:02:76:15:3C:5E
    Oct 29 16:42:06 ibm kernel:  hci_link_tx_to: hci0 killing stalled connection 00:02:76:15:3C:5E
    Oct 29 16:42:44 ibm kernel:  input: Kensington SlimBlade Trackball Mouse as /devices/pci0000:00/0000:00:1d.2/usb4/4-1/4-1:1.0/bluetooth/hci0/hci0:6/input14
    Oct 29 16:42:44 ibm kernel:  generic-bluetooth 0005:047D:1153.0007: input,hidraw0: BLUETOOTH HID v1.29 Mouse  on 00:14:A4:D8:21:B4

Just in case there's someone else having the same problem. Switch off Bluetooth and Xournal is stabil.

• Denis Auroux
    Denis Auroux
    2011-11-16

I suspect this is related to a bug in 0.4.5 causing xournal to crash when an input device that was connected at startup gets unplugged. The log above suggests that your bluetooth connection is unstable and the bluetooth trackball gets disconnected and reconnected intermittently; this would cause the bug to kick in. So: the problem is not bluetooth itself, it's the unreliable connection between your bluetooth mouse and your PC.

The bug is fixed in the CVS version of xournal. If the issue bothers you enough, try recompiling from the CVS version and seeing if it solves the problem.

Denis

• I believe the mouse/trackball falls asleep if not used for a while in order to save battery power, and by changing into the sleeping mode it disconnects. But that's speculation only.

But:
    not always crashes XOURNAL, when Bluetooth enabled, but just the STYLUS alone. And it happens even without the specified mouse being around.

Switching-off bluetooth when annotating is much easier for me right now.
    I'm getting along pretty well with Ubuntu and Debian but I'm not as professional as those who know how to compile programs or even apply patches to Xournal. But if you know a webpage where it is explained, I would give it a try.

• I've just found an example for my last post:
    Switching from battery to cable power evokes the same weird stylus behaviour.

Is there a way to "reset the stylus input" without having to reboot? Thanks.

• Denis Auroux
    Denis Auroux
    2012-01-12

This is really strange… in principle, if this were just a temporary device disconnect/reconnect, then quitting xournal and restarting it (without rebooting or anything else) should be enough.

You still haven't described exactly the "weird stylus behavior" - does the stylus stop working completely in all of X (no longer moves the pointer on screen)? just stop working in any running instances of xournal?  If the latter, I'd try just restarting xournal. If the former, clearly this is not a xournal problem…

If restarting xournal isn't enough then my guess is that it's either a hardware or device driver issue. Question: would restarting the X server (say logging out and back in) be enough to make the stylus available again? or do you really need to reboot?

Sorry I don't really know what is going on. Unfortunately my thinkpad doesn't have bluetooth so I can't try it out.

Denis

• (X41T) The stylus behaves as if I would move it around the desktop and click its buttons simultaneously in a very quick manner (similar to a hanging key of the keyboard). So I have to take the stylus out of the reach of the tablet to go on with normal working. To regain an "orderly behaving" stylus nothing else than a FULL reboot has helped.
    You are right, it's nothing to do with Xournal. It can be easily reproduced without Xournal running. I'll try to find something in the logs.