xournal++

dunc4n
2011-08-01
2013-03-05
  • dunc4n
    dunc4n
    2011-08-01

I am have the understanding that xournal is being rebuilt into xournal++, when is this project aimed for release or is it too early for that speculation?  Is there a way to try the current xournal++ build, I realize that it will be unstable but I was hoping to take a look at the direction xournal++ will be taking the project.

I am not a very experienced programmer, but I am able to do some work if any of the current devs would like a hand - or is xournal a one-man project with patch submission?  If it isn't I thought having a hierarchical storage system for multi-day notes (like a student would take) would be a nice touch, by having a new project or journal option similar to oneNote.  It would add a level of functionality that many students would find handy, as well as some professionals (anyone scribing the meetings minutes as an example.)  This is and idea I would happily plug away at if no one minds - I am just not sure how development is done on this project, and even if it is still active (there doesn't seem to be a release new since late 2009).

Thanks for any information providable,
    Duncan

• Denis Auroux
    Denis Auroux
    2011-08-03

From what I gather, xournal++ is almost ready for alpha release (Andreas is the person in charge). You can get the code on the svn repository (whereas the cvs repository is the old xournal).  I don't think it is a good idea to implement patches yet until the main codebase of xournal++ is stabilized - it's up to Andreas, but my impression is that you should wait until beta release before submitting patches.

Regarding a hierarchical storage system, this is a request I've never understood. You already have one, it's called the filesystem. With modern file managers and all the features evolved over many decades of modern OS history, why build another layer of ad hoc complexity for just one application? Why not build a better version of nautilus instead? Anyway, it's up to you - if you feel like working on it, feel free to. You should probably aim to do it in xournal++, since xournal is not going to evolve significantly anymore.

Denis

• Anonymous
    2012-01-02

Why is there a need for a rewrite since xournal 0.4.5 works very well (and congats on a very good piece of software) ?
    Also I understand you use GTK+ and C ? Why not C++ and QT (maybe QML ?) ? (Academic question since I use both Qt and GTK apps, but QT is more cross platform). And is it possible to add more sizes to the pen tool? In some pdf files, even the biggest size is almost invisible in yellow, so I go for the highlighter instead.

• John Ripper
    John Ripper
    2012-01-02

Hi,
    Sorry i cannot support you. I don t like this hype about hirarchical storage system in one program (like it is provided in OneNote). Instead you should use the best hirarchical storage system: your file system which is provided by your OS.
    But I do support this feature request: https://sourceforge.net/tracker/index.php?func=detail&aid=1943537&group_id=163434&atid=827736 this will do the same but without creating a hirarchical storage system in Xournal on top of the hirarchical storage system of your OS. This avoids the mess of two hirachical storage systems on top of each other. I do think like auroux in this case.

Yes development is still active. Andreas just has no time at the moment to code… In my opinion you should work on this if you want to do something for the project (https://sourceforge.net/tracker/index.php?func=detail&aid=1943537&group_id=163434&atid=827736). This is also the key feature you wish. Then you can post a patch or you get a developer and can directly upload your changes (but i would start with the patch).

You can check out the latest development snapshot from the svn-repository and compile it. (cannot provide more info at the moment for compiling it. But i did it some weeks ago and xournalpp looks very good to me)

• John Ripper
    John Ripper
    2012-01-02

Man i just answered the first question of dunc4n … :(
    Sorry for the inconvenience. Sorry, i cannot answer you question.

• Denis Auroux
    Denis Auroux
    2012-01-05

- Why a rewrite: xournal's code is not so easy to maintain, and deeply relies on the libgnomecanvas library used for rendering; however libgnomecanvas is no longer well-maintained, and has performance issues. I did not initiate the rewrite, as I have essentially no spare time at the moment, but Andreas volunteered and seems to have done very well so far. The new code will be more modular and, e.g., less intricately dependent on GTK (and not at all dependent on libgnomecanvas).

- Why GTK and C: I like C better than C++, and GTK is more lightweight than Qt. Performance is a serious issue with Xournal (tablet pens produce TONS of data). But it's a personal preference, based on familiarity with the GTK/C general programming model. Xournal++ is in C++ with GTK.  One key factor is that Gimp runs on GTK, and Gimp is the main force behind tablet device support in Linux, so it seemed more likely that GTK would have proper tablet device support back when I started (2005). (As it turned out there were plenty of bugs that had to be worked around). I am sure that by now Qt would work just as well.

- More sizes to the pen tool: note that in the menu you have a "very thick" pen size (Tools -> Pen options -> Very thick) that's the same as the large highlighter. Also: in your ~/.xournal/config file you can customize the widths of the various pens (and highlighters and erasers): look for a line that says
    pen_thicknesses=0.42;0.85;1.41;2.26;5.67
    and adjust the thickness values (from "very fine" to "very thick"). The unit is 1 point = 1/72 inch. This way you can make the "thick" pen much thicker and still be able to use the buttons in the toolbar. If you don't have a ~/.xournal/config file yet, first save preferences within xournal to create a default config file.

Denis

• Anonymous
    2012-01-05

Denis, thanks for the answer ! Now I have to rephrase my last comment because the sizes are ok :-)
    "And is it possible to add more sizes to the pen tool? In some pdf files, even the biggest size is almost invisible in yellow, so I go for the highlighter instead."

When picking the pen tool, even with think, thickest, the initial dot (the indicator) is small, so when I try to pin-point the spot to draw, it's not possible. So I go for the highlighter which has a bigger indicator. So I rephrase the problem, that is to increase the pen indicator dot. :-) 

• Denis Auroux
    Denis Auroux
    2012-01-06

Ah, I see. This is the issue discussed at
    https://sourceforge.net/tracker/?func=detail&aid=3385769&group_id=163434&atid=827736

I misunderstood your question, because the size of the cursor displayed does not change with the pen thickness…
    If you're not afraid of recompiling after modifying the source code a bit, this should help a bit.
    Denis

• Anonymous
    2012-01-11

One missing link for hxournal:
    hxournal is uploaded in hackage (CPAN-like community package server in haskell)
    http://hackage.haskell.org/package/hxournal

Ian-Woo Kim