Incorporating Patches? Release?

Anonymous
2011-05-18
2013-03-05

• Anonymous
    2011-05-18

I understand the problem of limited developer time, and the presense of dev responses on these forums is hugely encouraging.  I'm just wondering if there is any way interested users could help apply particularly useful patches to the main source tree, and maybe help move (someday) toward a new release.  This seems like a useful way for users to learn the code a bit as well, and maybe increase participation a little bit.

• Anonymous
    2011-05-18

Apologies for the impatient-sounding title - please preface both terse questions with

"Is there any way I could help with …"

• Denis Auroux
    Denis Auroux
    2011-05-21

The issue is essentially moot at this point, because the code of xournal is about to become obsolete. The CVS code base represents the essentially final stable version for the time being. Andreas' work on Xournal++ will be ready for public release fairly soon, and represents a fresh second start with rewritten source code. This means that the old xournal codebase will be kept more or less unchanged (unless there's some urgent bugfixing to be done.) The most important patches to xournal are already part of the initial feature set of Xournal++. The others will have to be rewritten if appropriate.

The problem (besides my lack of time) has been my insistence on reviewing (and usually rewriting) every patch before it gets incorporated - the stability of xournal is very important to me, more than the features. I realize this is not a very "open-source" point of view, and definitely not a good way to run a project. It was ok back when I had time to spend on it, and now it's just not making sense anymore. Fortunately I think xournal++ will be off to a better start.

You can preview xournal++ by downloading the svn code repository, but I don't think it's meant to be stable enough for actual daily use yet.

Denis