.xinitrc Being Ignored?

Help
2003-03-18
2003-03-18
  • Hi everyone!

I couldn't find the answer to this anywhere so here I go:  I successfully installed Fink and then used it to install xfree86, and Gnome.  When I type the command 'startx -- -fullscreen' in the terminal, XDarwin successfully starts and I am taken to the very ugly twm window manager.  (The default.)  Now as I understand it, in order to startup in Gnome, I have to create a .xinitrc file that describes which window manager to use.  I did so, and when I startup XDarwin it seemingly ignores my .xinitrc file and goes to the default.  (twm.) 

Unsure if I was properly configuring my .xinitrc file, I switched it with the default file: /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/xinit/xinitrc (Yes I know a bad thing to do.  But I kept a copy of the old one! )  After doing this, Gnome started up just fine. 

So my question is, what am I doing wrong with the .xinitrc file in my home directory?  The only thing that is a bit odd about my setup is that my user directories (and fink) are located on another hard drive separate from the drive that has OS X on it.  Is there some path variable that needs to be set somewhere?  Oddly enough I also have a .login and a .cshrc file in my home directory and both of those seem to be functioning.

Bear in mind I have about 7 hours of UNIX experience so far.  (I decided today was the day to get into OS X!)  So any help or suggestions would be GREATLY appreciated.

Thanks bunches,

Catrina