Work at SourceForge, help us to make it a better place! We have an immediate need for a Support Technician in our San Francisco or Denver office.

Close

Xfree86 4.4 & Tiger

Help
2005-09-01
2013-06-03
  • I have just installed Tiger and Xfree86 on my ibook to test compatibility before I upgrade my desktop to Tiger where using Xfree86 in rooted mode is essential. I am running a .command file to start which simply has X -quartz -query monifieth (monifieth is the machine I want to use). The ibook and desktop are setup identically except that the desktop is running Panther. The desktop runs Xfree86 rooted without problem and I can easily log onto monifieth. The ibook displays a black screen momentarily after which it changes to a grey screen identical to the screen I get when running X unrooted instead of switching to the login screen for monifieth. After another minute or so XDarwin quits and the terminal displays the message appended below. Everything down to the fatal error line appears identically on the desktop which runs. The problem appears to be an inability on the part of monifieth to open the ibook display (ltw930.see is my ibook). I have asked the sysadmins if there is any reason that my ibook cannot be reached and they say there are no internal firewalls blocking the ibook and it must be the way the ibook is set up. However they are not Mac people.

Can anyone offer any pointers?

Thanks,

Les.

[ltw930:~/Desktop] les% /Users/les/Desktop/runx.command;exit
    2005-08-31 14:37:50.818 XDarwin[240]
    XDarwin 1.3.0
    Running in parallel with Mac OS X Quartz window server.

XFree86 Version 4.4.0 / X Window System
    (protocol Version 11, revision 0, vendor release 6600)
    Release Date: 29 February 2004
             If the server is older than 6-12 months, or if your hardware is
             newer than the above date, look for a newer version before
             reporting problems.  (See http://www.XFree86.Org/FAQ\) Operating System: Darwin Apple Computer, Inc.
    Could not find keymapping file /System/Library/Keyboards/UK.keymapping.
    Reading keymap from the system.
    _XSERVTransmkdir: Owner of /tmp/.X11-unix should be set to root Loading GLX bundle glxMesa.bundle (using Mesa) Display mode: Full screen Quartz -- Direct Display
    Screen 0 added: 1024x768 @ (0,0)
    error opening security policy file /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/xserver/SecurityPolicy Could not init font path element /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/CID/, removing from list!
    tcsh: monifieth: Command not found.

Fatal server error:
    XDMCP fatal error: Session failed Session 39 failed for display ltw930.see:0:
    Cannot open display

OsVendorFatalError
    AbortDDX
    Quitting XDarwin...
    logout [Process completed]