Documentation please!

• I downloaded XAqua0.6 and installed it hoping that i could run X within Aqua as was discussed in the "X windows within Aqua" thread.
    However X still loads separatly and i have to switch between the two, this makes me think that the patches of gparker haven't been applied, but can i safely apply them also on XAqua 0.6?

If only there was some more documentation when you guys release this great stuff...

• We definitely need more documentation. What would be ideal would be to have someone join the project who is focused on documentation, but those people are hard to come by.

In any case, the answer to your question is that Greg's rootless patches are not in XDarwin 0.6. As was mentioned in the release notes for 0.5 and 0.6, the entire XFree86 project is in feature freeze for the next release and we can't add major new features at this point. We are concentrating on putting out a stable and useful full screen version for the next release.

Greg posted his patches so that people can experiment with them in the meantime. They will form the basis of our rootless support down the road. At this point, however, they are for people who want to live on the cutting edge. They may or may not apply cleanly on top of the current XFRee86 code. My guess would be they would work with only minor changes if any at all.

• Eric Peden
        Eric Peden

What kind of documentation is needed, exactly [he asked tentatively]? Release notes sort of stuff, or technical docs, or both?

• Since no one has replied, I'll suggest that a FAQ would be the first thing to do. We often get the same questions asked a number of times in different places.

• Things moving as fast as they do right now, one has to be content with mailing list archives as documentation, I guess. AFAICT, XAqua0.6 is just the compiled from the latest CVS sources. You cannot apply the rootless patch to it, since it is a binary distribution.

But what is worse, the recent updates to the XFree CVS source tree break the rootless patch. Even by applying it by hand (with some guesswork for some of the hunks), I am not able to recompile a working Fortunately, I kept a working rootless from some days ago.