Can't resize Xterm?

Alan Sill
2002-09-14
2002-09-19
  • Alan Sill
    Alan Sill
    2002-09-14

Hi,

When I start an Xfree86 4.2 / XDarwin 1.1 session under 10.2, two XTerm windows and an Xclock start up by themselves (I don't recall ever specifying that this should happen).  The one at the left side of the screen extends too far down past the lower edge of my Powerbook screen, and no combination of modifier keys and clicks brings up any menu that would let me resize this window to fit on the screen.  Any ideas?

• What you are seeing is the default behavior if you don't configure your X11 desktop. It comes from the file
      /usr/X11R6/etc/xinit/xinitrc, where you see the lines

# start some nice programs

twm &
      xclock -geometry 50x50-1+1 &
      xterm -geometry 80x50+494+51 &
      xterm -geometry 80x20+494-0 &
      exec xterm -geometry 80x66+0+0 -name login

What you want to do is to copy this to your home directory under the name ".xinitrc" and modify it. Replace the "twm" window manger by a less ugly one and change the size of the xterm windows as you wish.

I don't know why this is the default, 80x66 is too big as an xterm window on most screens. Maybe this ugly default is meant to get you started very quickly on doing your own configuration :-)

• Jonathan Tan
        Jonathan Tan
        2002-09-17

any recommendations on good places to learn how to start doing our own configuration?
        i'm a newbie. =)

• >any recommendations on good places to learn how to start doing our own configuration?

The man pages are probably the best place. If you are running Jaguar, you don't have to do anything special for the XFree86 man pages to be available once they are installed. Otherwise you need to add /usr/X11R6/man to your MANPATH. "man xterm" will show you what kind of command line options are available. For more information on the startup process and the .xinitrc file, check "man xinit".

• Alan Sill
        Alan Sill
        2002-09-19

Hi,

This is right, except that the file for the MacOS X version of
        XFree86 appears to be in /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/xinit/xinit.rc

I edited this file (note wanted it to apply to all users on my
        Powerbook, so edited the file in place rather than my own
        copy), and all is well.

The delete key does not seem to be right for my Powerbook
        keyboard, so I imagine there is more configuration to be done.

• > This is right, except that the file for the MacOS X version
          > of XFree86 appears to be in
          > /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/xinit/xinit.rc

Actually, this same file shows up in 3 places, in
          /usr/X11R6/etc/xinit/xinitrc
          /etc/X11/xinit/xinitrc
          /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/xinit/xinitrc

Usually, 2 of these are symlinks pointing to one of them.  Which one is the real thing depends on the configuration of xfree86 at compile time.
          If xfree86 is installed by fink, then  the second one is the "real" file:
          /etc/X11 is a symlink to /usr/X11R6/etc and
          /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/xinit is a symlink to /usr/X11R6/etc/xinit

Or rather, overly complicated and error-prone, to
          ../../../../usr/X11R6/etc/xinit which is a bug IMHO, but this would be another discussion.