game is too hard

dave8
2005-11-09
2013-03-22
  • dave8
    dave8
    2005-11-09

We need some maps for beginers. Current maps ( except first 4) are very hard! Or should be skill-level select option.

• Frank Roscher
      Frank Roscher
      2005-11-10

The game will get easier anyway when way points will be implemented. Anyway, I agree that some more tutorial levels would be needed. Maybe users will contribute them when the scripting possibilities have been documented.

What do you mean with a skill-level option? I can't imagine how different difficulty levels should be implemented in X-Moto without changing all levels.

• dave8
      dave8
      2005-11-12

skill-levels like in Gravity Defied :

easy - with 10 beginner maps,
      normal  - with 10 intermediate maps,
      pro - with 10 very hard maps!:)

Way points are not a good idea i think. Maybe levels should be a bit shorter.

• Frank Roscher
        Frank Roscher
        2005-11-12

That would be only a cosmetic change as the levels are supposed (!) to be ordered by difficulty anyway =/ I don't think such a categorization would be more useful than listing the levels in the correct order.

Way points certainly aren't a perfect solution, but personally I can't think of any better way of simplifying the game that doesn't need too big changes in level design. Shorter levels would cause a loss of "atmosphere", I think.

• IMHO it's really diffucult to set a difficulty for levels...

But I think it would be good to have levels categorization, or a "package" system, since the number of users-submitted levels can really explode...!

• rneckelmann
      rneckelmann
      2005-11-14

onety-three:

Point taken, for 0.1.9 (in CVS, probably broken :P) I have created a couple of seperate tutorial levels (similar to the first one, which now is an (external) tutorial level instead), but more complex.
      Currently I have two new tuts: One about jumping (i.e. for instance to teach the player to use left/right keys when jumping, so it gets longer). The last one about rear wheel driving through low-ceiling areas; very difficult one.
      Any more ideas for tutorials?

dave8x:

As onety-three says, the IDEA is that the levels are ordered by difficulty. I know it's not the case at the moment :)  But reordering levels are actually quite cumbersome, so I'm not going to do it before beta.

drasil:

You, I can't see how there can be different difficulties for the same level (maybe different number of save points?).
      I could add a difficulty setting in the editor so people can rate their own levels... Would that be a good idea, or wouldn't it be used?

• Frank Roscher
        Frank Roscher
        2005-11-14

Tutorial levels: Hmm. Maybe for balancing free fall and loops?

• I don"t think save points are a good thing ...

But for the rating of levels, it is a good idea. But I'm unable to give a difficulty rating of my own levels : they are easier for me since I played them a *lot* :-)

The rating should be by players themselves.

And again, I think levels should be grouped by "packages"; look at lbreakout and the number of created levels ! It would be insane without categories :)

Note: I can host levels and replays ...

• rneckelmann
      rneckelmann
      2005-11-15

"Free falls" as when "falling through a hole" or as falling through the air? :)

• Frank Roscher
        Frank Roscher
        2005-11-15

Falling through a hole :) It's a skill that is needed in several levels, and in each of them you have to get quite far to get your try.

• dave8
      dave8
      2005-11-16

I think that 70% of built-in levels should be in PRO diff.

P.S.
      Suse rpm package is running on my Mandriva, but without sound :)

• TTT
      TTT
      2005-11-18

I know about a thing that could make the game less difficult: bullet time! I'm experiencing it sometimes ;) and I can tell you the game is less difficult when slowed down. It could be used to make a low difficulty level, it's probably easy to implement.

• Frank Roscher
      Frank Roscher
      2005-11-20

The jumping tutorial is great, but that for rear wheel driving is too hard - I haven't managed to complete it yet. I guess it would be quite frustrating for a newbie if the tutorial was already harder than the rest of the game :/
      In any case, the last obstacle should be separate from the others so it can be trained directly.

BTW, building current CVS fails for me with
      In file included from src/BuiltInFont.h:25,
                       from src/BuiltInFont.cpp:27:
      src/VCommon.h:60: error: conflicting declaration 'typedef size_t GLsizeiptrARB'
      /usr/include/GL/glext.h:3055: error: 'GLsizeiptrARB' has a previous declaration as `typedef ptrdiff_t GLsizeiptrARB'
      src/VCommon.h:60: error: declaration of `typedef size_t GLsizeiptrARB'
      /usr/include/GL/glext.h:3055: error: conflicts with previous declaration `typedef ptrdiff_t GLsizeiptrARB'
      src/VCommon.h:60: error: declaration of `typedef size_t GLsizeiptrARB'
      /usr/include/GL/glext.h:3055: error: conflicts with previous declaration `typedef ptrdiff_t GLsizeiptrARB'

If I comment the line everything works again. This is on Gentoo.

• Frank Roscher
      Frank Roscher
      2005-11-20

Whoops, sorry. "The line" means line 60 of VCommon.h

• rneckelmann
      rneckelmann
      2005-11-24

onety-three: Okay, I'll add a teleport from to the last part of the level :)

The glext.h stuff is very annoying. Fixed at one system, and then it is broken on another. But I've just received a patch which should fix it for good. Maybe. :)