Work at SourceForge, help us to make it a better place! We have an immediate need for a Support Technician in our San Francisco or Denver office.

Close

Info about design of Movie Manager

basil
2007-08-25
2013-02-12
  • basil
    basil
    2007-08-25

Hi
    I teach Information Systems to high School kids, and someone threw down the challenge the other day for us to be more relevant. Instead of doing SQL queries on an Ancient Egypt database, could we do something kids might be engaged with???

I started trying to get more info on IMDB, and seeing if I could do something with that, when I stumbled across your project.

I've downloaded it, and entered and imported some data, and it looks great. But I confess to not understanding the reason for some of the tables that exist, and the relationships that are then created.

Is there some documentation I may be able to read to understand more fully how/why it's put together the way it is? Because we'd look at it from the conceptual schema stage , through the relational schema to entering data and querying, it'd be nice to have some understanding.

Hope this request is not construed as rude - I figured because it was GPL I'd have a better chance that asking IMDB why they do what they do!!!!

Cheers

Paul

• Bro
      Bro
      2007-09-02

Hi

Sorry for not answering this until now.
      I must have overlooked the email notice...

I absolutely do not find this rude ;-)

I must admit I do not fully understand what you ask for.
      I presume you know that the database structure we have in the movie manager is in no way connected to tbe structure of IMDb's databases. (Just to be on the safe side.. :-) )

There is absolutely no documentation what so ever on the database structure of MeD's Movie Manager (or IMDb), at least not to my knowledge.

The database structure of the movie manager was not designed by me, but by the original creator.
      Without being rude, I believe he was no expert in database design when he created this, and at present, neither am I ;-)

However, I'm happy to answer any questions you have, though I may not be able to give a satisfactory answer.

Bro

• basil
      basil
      2007-09-02

Thanks Bro.

I'd wondered whether there may have been data flow diagrams, conceptual schema or the like. I think I did figure from the relationships why there appeared to be 2 lots of similar tables.

I understand theres no link between movie manager and IMDB, but it's nice that it can access IMDB info. I'll see if I can write down a few questions to enhance my understanding.
      Cheers

Woger