It has come to our attention that a security feature (http://code.google.com/p/chromium/issues/detail?id=47416) in Chrome 5+ breaks the display of albums stored on the local machine (albums viewed over the web still work fine). Unless and until Chrome is fixed to correct this problem, we can only recommend using a different browser to view locally stored albums. Using the IE Tab (https://chrome.google.com/extensions/detail/hehijbfgiekmjfkfjpbkbammjbdenadd) in Chrome is probably the easiest work-around.
Version 1.7.0 has now been released. In addition to some minor convenience improvements, the main new features are support for setting default "advanced" album options for new albums, and an easy mechanism for changing between sets of display files ("themes").
This release mainly fixes various problems in album display on "other" browsers. We now support Opera and Google Chrome in addition to IE and Firefox. Using the new display files will require minor updates to the album.xml file (adding in a namespace declaration), which the album generator will handle automatically.
We also have a few bug fixes for the album generator, and we've included a tar.bz2 for the linux people out there. The latest version of Mono (2.2) seems to run the generator pretty well, though there are still a few minor issues.
We skipped a couple of numbers to reflect two things: first of all, there are a relatively huge number of improvements with this release. Second of all, we consider this package more or less done, at least in terms of features, insofar as any software project is ever done. We may change our mind later, and we will continue maintaining the software for bug fixes and such, but for now development will focus on other things, like translations and the master index project which never got off the ground.... read more
We've released a new version, including a few bug fixes and an update to the .NET 2.0 framework, which brings us unstable but usable Mono support.
Version 1.2.2 is out, with many little bug fixes and major performance enhancements, as well as a few new features, including automatic down-sampling and buttons to rotate images within the interface.
Version 1.2.1 is a minor update. Thumbnail downsample quality is improved, a button to launch the album has been added to the generator, and a few very minor bugs were fixed.
Also, the generator now runs with only a few very minor problems in Mono under windows. Linux is still having issues, however.
This new release brings many performance improvements to the GUI as well as significant improvements to the display files. Also, many bug fixes.
Version 1.1.1 has been released. Aside from some internationalization fixes, we now have a modicum of Linux support, although I hesitate to call it working just yet. We were able to create and edit albums, but it still crashes a lot due mostly to deficiencies in mono. The tarball included in this release has everything a linux user should need to use the album generator, including an extra readme with further information.
We've upgraded to version 1.1.0, including many bug fixes, but also an upgrade to the .NET framework version 1.1, allowing us to ditch shell32.dll and all of the brokenness which that caused on older systems. See the changelog for details.
Our current release, having been tested on several very large albums, is now out. We no longer consider this to be beta software.
Version 1.0.beta10 is the final beta version, with many feature and performance enhancements, as well as many bug fixes. Since graduate school is winding up, this will be our last release for a while, unless some serious bug is discovered.
We now support thumbnails! These make all albums load faster (even locally), and bigger albums not crash browsers. If you're using the GUI interface, just make sure the 'use thumbnails' box is checked. Otherwise read the changelog / readme / XML format specification page for further info.
Since several of the changes we made to the XML format break compatibility in minor ways between the previous database format and the current XSL (and visa versa), I've added a 'Refresh display files' button to the GUI to replace whatever display files are there with new ones easily.