Thin lines for all series in a chart

2009-11-17
2012-12-09
  • Is there a way to keep all of the existing formats in a chart, but make all lines a given width? 

Or include line width when using copy chart properties?

• Daniel Kraus
    Daniel Kraus
    2009-11-17

I assume you mean line widths for the actual plots? It's not currently possible to selectively copy the line format of a plotted series to the other charts. (It is possible though to copy line formats of the axes, grids, and legend.) I can look into adding this to the Copy Chart Format function.

• I have to say that the more I play with this toolbox, the more I like it.  Thank you!

You are exactly right. I have a large number (30 to 60) of very similar series, each with thousands of points, and excel's default width of 2.25 hides too much.
    Design Chart for Publication is almost perfect for my application.  I simply set the line width and set the symbol size to 1 (I don't want symbols).

Some features that would make this Add-in perfect for my application:
    Under Design Chart for Publication:
    For Auto Series, offer defaults for all series.  I have some plots with over 60 series.  It would be nice not to have to add definitions for each.

For chart series, offer an option to change just line width or symbol size and leave everything else alone.

Only other thing I can think of would be a better way to rearrange series orders (I hate the way excel does it now).

Thank you again for making this available.

• Daniel Kraus
    Daniel Kraus
    2009-11-19

Thanks very much for your comments, I appreciate the feedback. A couple of the suggestions should be fairly easy to implement, e.g. defaults for all series, or no symbols.

Can you be more specific about rearranging the chart series order? I assume you want to move some chart series to the foreground, but since I never looked at the series order myself, I need some more explanation what you are trying to do.

Also, I want to point out that if you use Excel 2007, you can change the widths of all series lines with one click - but of course you would have to use one of Excel's predefined layouts.

• Re. chart series order…

I often have many similar series on top of each other with occasional anomalies (such as a range of points that are higher or lower than others). I generally will make such series a different color (I will make most of the curves black, and the oddball set red). If the oddball set is the last plotted, you will see the entire red curve over the top of the black curves. It it is plotted first, then usually only the anomalies show up…the rest is covered by the black. This helps highlight the anomaly, which is what I want.

In Excel 2007, you can do this by right-clicking a series and choosing Select Data, clicking the desired series, and using the arrows next to Add Edit Remove to change the plotting order.  The problem with this is that I must know which series is the one I want to move.  If it is the 21st, I must go through the list until I get to the 21st, then click the up arrow 20 or 21 times.

It would be much more convenient to select a curve from the plot and then click a button that says "send to front" or "send to back."  That would cover my immediate needs, but I am sure there are ways to fine tune it.

Yes, I am using Excel 2007. I have found ways to make fatter lines with a single click, but the narrowest I can find are 2.25 pt. Had they had a default with a width of 1 pt or 0.25 pt, I never would have gone searching for an alternative, so never would have found your add-in.

I hope that explains things.  I could probably do better with a couple of screen shots.

Thank you again

• Daniel Kraus
    Daniel Kraus
    2009-11-19

Thanks for the explanation, I understand now what you mean.

I think Send-to-front and Send-to-back should be feasible!

• One more item.  Not sure if there is an easy fix or not. In older versions of Excel, I used to be able to create a chart, then easily add new data to it with an "Add Data" command.  This worked great when the new data had a different range of X values.  The new procedure is far too tedious.  I have found a workaround by creating a new chart for the second set of data, then copying the chart and pasting it into the first. But I really miss just being able to add data to an existing chart.

• Daniel Kraus
    Daniel Kraus
    2009-11-21

When I click on a chart containing XY data and then choose "Select data" from the Ribbon, I can add a series with X and Y values. Evidently this is not what you want? What should an "Add Data" command look like for you?

It's very easy to add series to a chart with Visual Basic, so if you explain a bit more, I can include it in the next release (hopefully…)

Thanks

• I would like it to look something like it did in previous versions.

Click "select data"
    Highlight rows and/or columns that you want to add.

Initially it would be sufficient for my purposes to assume that the first column contains a new set of X values, all other columns contain new sets of Y values, and the first row contains series names.

Occasionally, data might be in rows rather than columns, but that is easy enough to deal with using transpose.

• Daniel Kraus
    Daniel Kraus
    2009-12-17

Hi,

I have finally released version 2.60 which comes with a whole bunch of user-requested features indlucing "add many series". The chart designer has also been improved a lot.

You can update automatically by going to "About" (Excel 2007), then clicking on "Check for updates".

Daniel

• Great work, and fast, too.  Thank you for the improvements.  I'll start playing with them right away.

Anonymous

Cancel   Add attachments