xCHM doesn't seem to work with HTML anc...

Help
Anton
2012-11-18
2013-02-12
  • Anton
    Anton
    2012-11-18

Hello all,

I am using the latest xCHM 1.19 and it ignores my clicking on anchor URLs. Only inter-page URLs work correctly. Is it one of the unmentioned "limitations" or a bug?

Anton

• Hello, 1.19 is not the latest version, 1.21 is.

It could be a limitation, could be a bug, hard to say without more details. What version of wxWidgets are you using, are you using xCHM on Linux, Windows, Mac, something else? Can you give me the .chm file to check it out?

• Anton
    Anton
    2012-11-18

Oh, I am using Windows (XP) and version 1.19 seems to be the latest one for this OS, and I didn't install anything called wxWidgets. I have tried some other .chm files and, yes, the problem is connected with that certain file: https://dl.dropbox.com/u/59075928/sample.chm.

• WxWidgets is statically linked into the Windows version, so it indeed doesn't show up as a separate file. I've downloaded your .chm file (you can remove it from that link now if you wish) and tested it on my Linux box and indeed the tags in the file don't work for me either. I don't have the time to troubleshoot it right now but I'll decompile the .chm and take a look at that HTML later.

For now, it's likely that the HTML is not right, or that it is too complicated for the simple wxHtmlWindow control to handle (which would ideed put this in the 'limitations' category).

Will return with more details. Thanks for the report.

• Anton
    Anton
    2012-11-18

OK, thanks. I think this might have to do with spaces in the file name and, consequently,  in the anchor URL. Although I find spaces in the names of .htm files ugly, viewers should support them…

• I've looked into the problem, and apparently wxHtmlWindow is not sophisticated enough to handle the HTML in some of the pages of your CHM document. This was confirmed by loading one of the offending pages into the simple "about" wxGTK sample, where I upon clicking one of the anchor links I received this error:

"HTML anchor c1s1 does not exist."

So, I'm sorry to say, this not something I can fix in xCHM, it needs to be fixed in wxWidgets. I believe that they know about these issues but have kept the HTML widgets as simple as possible (this helps with it being cross-platform, but hurts viewing complex HTML pages).

I've been looking for a proper alternative for wxHtmlWindow ever since the first release of xCHM, but projects keep popping out and dying shortly after and I haven't been able to find anything useful so far.

So, the short answer is, yep, it's unfortunately a limitation.