command line options

radu
2007-06-20
2013-02-12
  • radu
    radu
    2007-06-20

First of all, great program. I'm using it on both windows and debian.

Second, it would be nice to have a few command line options to search for a keyword and topic/chapter, something like
    -t "topic" and -k "keyword"
    where -t "topic" opens the topic named "topic" and -k looks up the index for keyword "keyword".

I think something like this would make xchm great for using in conjunction with IDE's, among other things.

Another suggestion would be something like -s "search_word" which would open the search bar and search for "search_word(s)", opening the first matching topic by default, if multiple matches are found. Speaking of search, a highlighting option for search results would also be nice :)

• Hello.

This forum is not for posting feature requests. It's a "catch-all" zone, for talking about stuff that's not a bug, a feature, or a request for help. All those kinds of things have dedicated areas on the project's SF.net page. So if you're interested in a feature that doesn't exist, you should use the feature requests area on the main project page.

But not to be too bureaucratic about the issue, here are some answers:

1. It is possible to open a specific HTML file inside the CHM file by using the full syntax "xchm file:myfile.chm#xchm:/mytopic.html".

2. Technically speaking, I'm not sure that wxWidgets allows me to select more than one "HTML cell" at one time - I'm pretty sure I thought about highliting all the results on page selected from the search results list but I couldn't be done at the time. Not sure about the current status of that business.

3. I'm sorry, I don't have much time at the moment. xCHM is simply a hobby project, I do have a "real" job that for some reason that I need to understand and fix :-) takes a lot of my time on this Earth, there's not permanent working person for the project and I don't make any money from it, so everything being what everything is, if you or some competent developer friend can write an elegant patch for what you want, I'll gladly incorporate it. Otherwise, since it's not a critical bug or something that more than one user wants, don't hold your breath :-).

Thanks for your interest in the project!