OS X Intel - Plans?

2005-06-08
2013-04-22
  • Saint Stryfe
    Saint Stryfe
    2005-06-08

Heya, I'm a long-time user and value your contributions! I am unfortunatly not talented as a programer, but as an End User, I am just wondering about the project's plans as relates to Intel. Is XChat Aqua done with xCode, so the port be simple? Are the main developers planning on doing this?

I'm very excited for the future due to this shift to intel - and I hope you guys are moving forward very soon.

• Steve Green
      Steve Green
      2005-06-08

It's not as simple as you might think, but I will create a universal binary some time before you'll be able to buy an Intel Mac.

• Saint Stryfe
        Saint Stryfe
        2005-06-08

I'm sure it's not. To me, the fact that source code does anything is amazing. But thanks for that insanely quick responce and I'm glad to know there will be a UB. All my major programs have been committed to UB now.

• Steve Harris
          Steve Harris
          2006-04-04

I dont see an intel binary yet, I'm running hte PPC version, but the CPU load is pretty high (about 10% on each core).

Great port BTW.

• Steve Green
            Steve Green
            2006-05-08

Sorry all.. time is tight.  The next release will be unibin.  I have it working and hope to get busy with more xchat work soon.

• Fn Ord
      Fn Ord
      2006-05-08

So, plans? Universal Binary? Eh? Nudge nudge, wink wink?

• Sean
      Sean
      2006-07-09

Just confirming that it can be built as universal. I got tired of waiting and did an intel build today (it would have been universal but I didn't feel like compiling all the depencies as universal too).

I was satisfied with that, but then I discovered the "lipo" tool. Took the universal Growl framework, the intel binary I made, and the ppc binary that's been released (0.15.2) and combined the two into a ubin!

I'll post it somewhere if anybody's interested.

• numberR
        numberR
        2006-07-18

that would be great if you can share universal binary one :)

• p0windah
        p0windah
        2006-07-21

I would also be interested in having a UB version.

Please post a link, or mail me chow.man@gmail.com

• Sean
        Sean
        2006-08-06

Here's my universal build. I -think- plugins work, but if they don't I'm not sure how to fix that.

http://www.seancorp.org/projects/X-chat_Aqua-Universal.zip

• Xo Wang (GHF)
      Xo Wang (GHF)
      2006-09-02

I built an Intel-only version, it's here:
      http://geekshavefeelings.googlepages.com/X-Chat_Aqua.0.15.2.dmg
      I lipo'd it (including the plugins) with the official version, and edited rubyenv to include the ruby dirs in the PPC OS X, and it seems to work well: http://geekshavefeelings.googlepages.com/X-Chat_Aqua.UniBin.0.15.2.dmg