Steps to reproduce:
- Login to a channel.
- Configure XChat to show balloon notifications in the system tray.
- Minimizing it to tray, moving the focus to another application.
- Put Windows on standby (I do that by closing my notebook monitor). You will be logged out from the channel at this point.
- Wakeup the system and do nothing. In the background, XChat will login to the channel again.
- Do not move and wait for a message in the channel. The balloon notification will be displayed in the system tray, as expected.
- Click in the balloon to close it.
After a few seconds, the same notification will be displayed again. Click on it to close... and it is displayed again... and again... and again...
The only solution I've found was closing XChat at this point, and opening it again.
Someone else reported the same problem in the forums:
(XChat 2.8.7a on Windows 2003)