Failed String to FontSet conversion

2006-06-14
2013-04-30
  • What is the source of this font problem? I'm getting it on a Debian sid system with Christian Marillat's xdtv package, version 2.3.2-0.1, amd64.

Cannot convert string "-xxl-ledfixed-medium-r-semicondensed--39-120-75-75-c-180-*-*" to type FontStruct
    Warning: Missing charsets in String to FontSet conversion
    Warning: Cannot convert string "-xxl-ledfixed-medium-r-semicondensed--39-120-75-75-c-180-*-*,                                             -jis-fixed-medium-r-normal--24-230-75-75-c-240-jisx0208.1983-0" to type FontSet

The result is I can't read anything in xdtv's menus.

David

• Sir Pingus
      Sir Pingus
      2006-06-14

ledfixed is not afont for menu as you say. ledfixed is only a font for OSD.
      you have to install tv-fonts package in the marillat repository. if you have any problem with this package ask Christian about it.
      ( cd /usr/lib/X11/fonts/misc; mkfontdir)

Your problem seens to be the same as describe here:
      http://forum.hardware.fr/hardwarefr/OSAlternatifs/polices-minuscules-dans-xdtv-sujet-50028-1.htm
      (in french)
      1) dpkg-reconfigure locales
      2) choose other thing that fr_FR@euro
      (for example fr_FR, fr_FR.UTF-8, fr_FR.UTF-8@euro).
      3) and restart Xorg

It's a debian bug only.

Pingus

• Salut Pingus,

I doubt it's the same problem -- I use locale en_US, and I'm not seeing lower-case letters (minuscules), but this sort of thing:

http://spello.sscnet.ucla.edu/xdtv-font-fails.jpg

Dave

• Sir Pingus
      Sir Pingus
      2006-06-14

if you look at the XdTV.ad file (into /etc/X11/app-defaults/) you will see that we use those fonts:

*font:                                 7x13bold
      *international:                    True
      *fontSet:      \                -misc-fixed-bold-r-normal--*-*-75-75-c-70-*-*, \                -misc-fixed-medium-r-normal--14-130-75-75-c-140-jisx0208.1983-0, \                -misc-fixed-*-*-*--*-*-75-75-c-70-*-*, \                -*-fixed-*

may be your system is not OK with those fonts?
      test another one with the xfontsel program.

Pingus