Work at SourceForge, help us to make it a better place! We have an immediate need for a Support Technician in our San Francisco or Denver office.

Close

Media server startup options

Jdogzilla
2006-11-13
2013-05-03
  • Jdogzilla
    Jdogzilla
    2006-11-13

Hello,

Is there a way that I can have the media server startup when the computer starts (since I dual boot into Windows every now and then)?  One option I know is to put a link to the start file in the /etc/rc.local file.  Are there any other options?  Are there any risks to start the media server in the above way?  How do I capture the messages that get output by the server?

Thanx

• Thomas Walker
      Thomas Walker
      2006-11-14

That should work, you probably want to run it in a screen to capture output. Also make sure you don't run it as root as it's not secure.

• Ernie Oporto
        Ernie Oporto
        2007-05-06

If you place it in rc.local it will run as root, so instead you should put it in as something like
            /bin/su - username -c "cd /usr/x360mediaserve; ./start"
        to start as username on boot.

• Jdogzilla
      Jdogzilla
      2006-11-17

Hmm ... so if I put it in rc.local, won't it run as root? 

Are you suggesting that I extract the tar.gz file as a user (and not root) and then create a link to the start script in the Autostart folder (in KDE) which is used to initiate any user defined program at login?  Again, that won't give me any screen to capture output.  And what happens if I login remotely using FreeNX ... what will happen if I try to initiate 2 instances of the server?

This is looking great so far ... so I really appreciate the effort for all involved.  Works 'almost' great between my FC6 linux box and my xbox 360 (still getting random EOFexceptions while songs are being played).

Thanks

• Thomas Walker
        Thomas Walker
        2006-11-17

Unfortunately I've not tried it myself yet so I can't offer too much advice.

One option would be to use the "screen" program with the options -d -m to run the start script. This should start it in a detached screen which you can reattach to view the output. Depending on your distro you may have to install screen (not used fedora before).

Are you getting problems with the sound playback or just the EOF errors on the server. If you  stop/skip a song then the server will throw an EOF exception since it's output has gone that I don't handle correctly yet (it shouldn't cause any problems).

• Jdogzilla
      Jdogzilla
      2006-11-17

I am having some problems with sound playback.  If I start playing an album, after 3-4 songs, I will have no audio coming through.  When I check the output on the linux console, I see EOF exception for the particular song where the audio died.  Weird thing is that the song will play through completely without the audio, and then the next song will start with audio.  I'll try running it again today and post the log out here.  Thanks for your help. 

• Barry Guidry
    Barry Guidry
    2009-11-06

If you are running Fedora, try System menu item > Preferences > Personal > Sessions, and add the start script.