Linux Video Encoding - Success

Unamanic
2007-03-10
2013-05-03
  • Unamanic
    Unamanic
    2007-03-10

The SVN version of mplayer (and consequently ffmpeg) now contains an wma encoder.  This was the missing piece for native linux video encoding.  I was able to encode a playable file it over with the following command (haven't played with optimizing too much yet):

mencoder -of lavf -lavfopts format=asf:i_certify_that_my_video_stream_does_not_use_b_frames  lavc -ovc lavc -lavcopts acodec=wmav2:vcodec=wmv2:aspect=16/9:abitrate=192:vbitrate=4096 -ofps 30000/1001 -o /coldstorage/media/heroes118.wmv heroes.118.hdtv-lol.avi

Will

• Jason Holmes
      Jason Holmes
      2007-03-11

sweet!  thanks for the tip.  Anybody know how we can stream this? same commands as avi2wmv.bat perhaps?

• Thomas Walker
      Thomas Walker
      2007-03-11

Thanks for the info. Great news!

Making an avi2wmv script in the script directory should be enough to get it to work. If you use ffmpeg it should probably be something like

ffmpeg -i $1 -b 1048576 -f asf -vcodec wmv2 -acodec wmav2 -

I'll try and add it to cvs soon and put a new release out.

• Unamanic
        Unamanic
        2007-03-12

I'm running 0.2 (I think) and I'm having trouble with the video anding abruptly after 10 minutes or so.  I haven't played with the CVS version of x360, have there been any improvements to this in the CVS version?  Also, on my machine the mencoder command takes 100% of resources and takes a little longer than video playtime (10% or so), do you think the ffmpeg command will help this?

Will

• Martin Wood
          Martin Wood
          2007-03-12

No.  As I understand it the MPlayer project uses the FFmpeg libraries.  Indeed, FFmpeg is hosted with Mencoder.  I'm thinking we may well have problems with processor utilisation due to the limited options we can change.

• Unamanic
            Unamanic
            2007-03-12

That's what I thought.  I'll probably have to pretranscode all of my video, but it;s better than nothing.

Will

• Jason Holmes
      Jason Holmes
      2007-03-11

excellent, just compiling ffmpeg right now from source to try it out, works well with mencoder to reencode my videos so now its just time to try the stream.

• Jason Holmes
      Jason Holmes
      2007-03-11

wait i put that in aviwmv and it doesn't work do i need to stream the content first?

• Jason Holmes
      Jason Holmes
      2007-03-11

well i've used it to transcode a file with ffmpeg but i'm not having luck streaming

• Jason Holmes
      Jason Holmes
      2007-03-12

using ffmpeg -i $1 -b 1048576 -f asf -vcodec wmv2 -acodec wmav2 -
      i get an error on my xbox that says unsupported content.  not sure what i'm doing wrong.