Arduino source

Tobias
2012-02-28
2013-06-12
  • Tobias
    Tobias
    2012-02-28

Why isn't the sketch in the repository?

WSDL-WxShield-Source-1.5-Source.zip needs a few changes to work with current Arduino, as they renamed some header files. Where can I send a patch?

• Jimmy
    Jimmy
    2012-02-28

Would this be the reason I can not get the sketch to verify? I have tried everything to get it to run on a Mega2560 series 3. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Jimmy

• Tobias
    Tobias
    2012-02-28

Probably. Do the errors mention WProgram.h? Just post one.

Which receiver/shield do you have?

• Jimmy
    Jimmy
    2012-02-28

Sucess! I had to download Arduino0022 and use it to download to the Arduino/shield. This is what was printed on the serial monitor:
                                WXS:1.5
                                WXH:2.0
                                RXN:03FF
                                BMP Failed
                                XXX:0

I am using the Freetronics shield and it only has the Receiver on it which is why the BMP Failed.  Unfortunately I am at work and do not have any O.S. sensors to test with. I guess this means you need to use the old Arduino0022 software to make this combination of Arduino Mega 2560 r3 with the Freetronics ASK receiver shield. Will post more positive results as they happen.
    Jimmy

• Jimmy
    Jimmy
    2012-03-01

False alarm, I am talking to the Arduino but it is not decoding anything. I do have a good signal going in on pin D8,  What files do I need to load as part of the sketch?  I am going wacko trrying different file combonations…….thanks

• Tobias
    Tobias
    2012-03-01

You set the wrong shield version in WxReceiverConfig.h

I don't know what you mean by "load"

• Jimmy
    Jimmy
    2012-03-01

I am not sure I am doing this correctly. Is there only 1 file that gets uploaded to the Arduino? From reading the latest sketch it seems they want you to upload WsdlWxShield, WxReceiverConfig, WxReceivers and wxrx. The last 3 being H files. When I compile and upload that combination it seems to work but never outputs anything except :  WXS:1.5
                                                                                                                                                                          WXH:2.0

I am using an Arduino Mega2560 r3 using Arduino022 firmware. Arduino1.0 would not compile without errors.  I have an O.S. raingauge sitting on the desk next to me, model PCR800. Once again any help will be greatley appreciated.

• Tobias
    Tobias
    2012-03-01

First I'd move the desk out of the rain!

You only upload the pde/ino file, it automatically brings the rest with it. Here's a version that works with Arduino 1.0 your hardware:

http://d.pr/4eHT

Or just adjust WxReceiverConfig.h using some text editor other than the Arduino Environment.

• Jimmy
    Jimmy
    2012-03-02

Thanks for the reply. I uploaded the sketch you posted and it compiled and ran but still no O.S. messages. I am using the receiver from freetronics which uses the RXB6 receiver module. I can see signal going into the Arduino on pin D8. Anymore ideas now that the rain has subsided on my desk?
    Thanks again, Jimmy

• Jimmy
    Jimmy
    2012-03-02

I forgot to mention that when watching on the data window of WDSL the Arduino resets on a regular interval

• Tobias
    Tobias
    2012-03-02

I don't know how often the PCR800 sends data, maybe wait an hour or get a simple temperature sensor. Also try some wire for an antenna.

Best confirm with the serial monitor in the Arduino environment before going to WSDL.

If "seeing signal" involves an oscilloscope you could check against the protocol description on the website.

How regular? Maybe the watchdog is triggered by it not getting data.

• Tobias
    Tobias
    2012-03-02

I've never seen an Arduino Mega, so this only comes to me now, but it uses a different pin mapping than the Uno. I'm afraid the one the sketch uses isn't even connected here, so you can stop trying. Sorry.

• Jimmy
    Jimmy
    2012-03-03

I think there must be a work around (patch). Does anyone know what the pin out differences are?

• DAVE
    DAVE
    2012-03-03

vanity, rawkitman…have you been to this site and tried the links there? <http://wmrx00.sourceforge.net> FYI, the PCR800 sends about every 47 seconds. (Protocol 3.0)

• Jimmy
    Jimmy
    2012-03-03

Tried every thing there. no luck.  scouring the aduino forums  I have scoped the input on pin d8 and the signal is getting to there. Seems like thaat is as far as it goies. I wish there was a way to make the pcr800 tx constantly.  I will have to go back to the FCC web site and pull up the schematic of the pcr800 and see if there is a test mode. I beleive there is a 1024hz square wave test routinge built into the sketch. I will try to activate that. any other suggestions?

• Tobias
    Tobias
    2012-03-03

What does xafxaf think we missed?

Sketches are really written for processor features, in this case ICP1. Depending on the processor multiple features share one of the little legs, and depending on the board those legs are connected to pins along the side. On the Arudino Uno, ICP1 shares a leg with what makes up digital pin 8. On the Mega, ICP1 has its own leg, which as I said isn't connected to anything. You'd need a very tiny soldering iron.

ICP4 is connected to digital pin 49, but making the code use that is not easy.

• Jimmy
    Jimmy
    2012-03-03

Thanks vanity, now it's time for a trip to RS for an UNO….bigger and better things for the Mega latter

• Jim
    Jim
    2012-03-03

It's not necessary to buy an Uno to replace your Mega2560 for this.  All the pins on the Uno are present on the Mega2560, though perhaps with different numbers in a few cases.  Much simpler and cheaper to just change the pins in your sketch than to buy an entirely new board.

• Jimmy
    Jimmy
    2012-03-04

Here is a chart showing the pinout of the UNO and the MEGA2560. Looks like it would require a lot of rewriting the sketch to have any chance of working. I already picked up an UNO and it is working beautifuly. I don't think it is picking up Version 1 instruments. It found my rain gauge and outside temperature humidity instrument. Never sees the anemometer/wind direction instrument. Willl work on it later. Need to order parts to have indoor temp and barometric pressure. I might even try to build the second shield as it has a much better rx.  Hi kd7eir, I am also a ham, WB4WMJ. Been licensed for almost 42 years. are you active on the low bands? might be able to hook up on the air. Here is the link to the chart
    https://spreadsheets.google.com/spreadsheet/pub?key=0AtfNMvfWhA_ccnRId19SNmVWTDE0MEtTOV9HOEdQa0E&gid=0

• Tobias
    Tobias
    2012-03-04

I like how kd7eir just says no without addressing my arguments.

The Arduino libraries don't support ICP1, so the sketch has to fiddle with registers directly. You can't just search & replace with ICP4.

• Jim
    Jim
    2012-03-04

Vanity - I pass on information, not attacks.  Sorry if you feel that it's not worth the effort to make the sketch work with the 2560, but that does not change the fact that it IS NOT necessary to replace the 2560 with an Uno to make the sketch work.

Further, it's not MY JOB to rewrite the sketch for those that just want something handed to them.  I will, however, help those that politely ask for assistance in modifying the sketch for use with the 2560.

• A Weather Guy
    A Weather Guy
    2012-04-28

I just posted a new source archive for download under "Current-Stable-Release". This fixes the problem with WProgram.h and it built okay for me with Arduino 1.0. Warning - I have built this but not tested the sketch. It should otherwise be the same source as version 1.5 but this has not been verified. Don't try this out unless you have the ability to go back to a working release.

• A Weather Guy
    A Weather Guy
    2012-04-28

I also added the Arduino source to the SVN repository if anyone wants to download it that way instead.