Work at SourceForge, help us to make it a better place! We have an immediate need for a Support Technician in our San Francisco or Denver office.

Close

No Flac Support

Help
2006-12-18
2013-04-25
  • SovereignScorn
    SovereignScorn
    2006-12-18

I installed wmptse 1.2, and when I added my FLAC files they had no information, and the title was the file name. I checked support and FLAC isn't listed. When I try to install flac support I get the error:

The dll failed to load or WMPTSE was unable to use the

read<tag type>tag() or write<tag type>tag()

function.
    This DLL is not compadible with WMPTSE API or this Tag type is not supported by it. Please refer to the maintainer of this DLL.

The CRC on the dll is A47494A5

• M@B
      M@B
      2006-12-20

Seems like you had an installation problem...

FLACTagSupport.dll should have been already installed at setup.

Let's try to determine where the setup failed :
      - which version of Windows are you using ?
      - which version of WMP are you using ?
      - have you already install an old version of WMPTSE on this computer ?
      - did the setup seems to work well ?
      - when you say you tried to install flac support yourself, what were you doing ?
      - which dll made you have this error ? FLACTagSupport.dll ?
      - if so, could you give the dll version (right click in the Windows Explorer on the dll file and click on version tab)

MaB_fr

• alyndaker
      alyndaker
      2006-12-28

I also have the same problem....I will answer the same questions.

I am using XP Media Center Edition (Windows reports XP Home version 2002, SP2.
      I am using WMP 10.00.00.4036.
      There no other versions on this computer.
      I haven't tried another version.
      Under the Tools -> Options -> Plugins tab -> Background category -> WMP Tag Support Extender Plugin properties ->
           FLAC is not listed in the supported formats.
           Click the add support button.
           Switch tag type to FLAC
           Fill out the file extension as .flac
           Under tag support DLL path, select the FLACTagSupport.dll
           After accepting this .dll, it will give the error the previous poster mentioned.

I am open to suggestions :)

• alyndaker
        alyndaker
        2006-12-28

Edit to the previous post....I meant XP Media Center 2002 service pack 2.

• M@B
          M@B
          2006-12-28

First : upgrade your WMP version...If you prefer WMP10 you could find an old 10.0.0.8192...The version you have, has a Media Library bug in it. There's no way WMPTSE could work with that version.

Second : get a new FLACTagSupport.dll in the "Download file" section of sourceforge WMPTSE's site. Erase your old file with it, and try adding flac support again...

Third : uninstall WMPTSE and reinstall it (with administrator privileges). There's no reason why FLACTagSupport.dll wouldn't expose ReadFLACTag and WriteFLACTag...

MaB_fr

• XP Pro SP2 here WMP 11 (tried with 9 first!).  I've uninstalled and reinstalled the plugin but it still doesn't work for FLAC.  It wont let me add the FLAC extension and DLL it just freaks out.  The Download file section only has an older version of FLACTagSupport.dll.  I tried the version there too, no joy.  I've tried 1.1.1 as well as 1.2.0 neither works.  Can't manually associate the FLAC codec either http://ossian.myby.co.uk/wmp.png <- error message

• M@B
        M@B
        2006-12-31

Ok, we'll try the registry way...

Go to the "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\piPOol\WMPTSE\&quot; Key...

Under the flac subkey, you should have a string key "flac" and its value "<path of wmptse installation>\FLACTagSupport.dll".

If it's not here, add it with the right value (replace <> with you path).

Please try and tell us here if it's working or no...

MaB_fr

• I have the same issue and get this error below when i try to add the flac support dll.

The dll failed to load or WMPTSE was unable to use the

read<tag type>tag() or write<tag type>tag()

function.
      This DLL is not compadible with WMPTSE API or this Tag type is not supported by it. Please refer to the maintainer of this DLL.

I'm running windows Vista (from clean install)
      Running WMP 11.0.6000.6324
      I installed WMPTSE 1.2 as Administrator. I never had a previouse version installed.
      Setup seemed to work well.
      FLACTagSupport.dll (v 1.2.0.0) gave me the error when i tried adding .flac file support to supported tags.

I have the registry key you mention in the post above.
      string key flac with value of C:\Program Files\piPOol\WMPTagSupportExtender\FLACTagSupport.dll

Any ideas?

• Brian
      Brian
      2007-02-15

I am getting the same problem with FLAC tag support not working in WMP11 on a fresh install of Vista Business. I tried to add it manually and I get the "This DLL is not compadible with WMPTSE API..." error. I checked the registry and the entries to load the dll are there but they aren't loading for whatever reason. I tried installing version 1.2, 1.1, and 1.1.1, but none seemed to work.

I did find a work around that allowed me to get tag support working.

I extracted the FLACTagSupport.dll from WMPTSE version 0.9.9.4
      I then installed version 1.2.
      I then replaced the FLACTagSupport.dll in the installed 1.2 directory with the one I extracted from 0.9.9.4.

This got flac tag support running for me and should hopefully work for others having problems until the problem with the current dll can be found.

• M@B
        M@B
        2007-02-15

Oups !

Sorry, you've just make me realise that i've wrongly updated the FLACTagSupport.dll from FLAC 1.1.0 to 1.1.3.
        I've added a dependency to MSVCRT71.dll and it seems that Vista is not shipped with it...

Just wait for 1.3, you'll get YEAR working and no more dependencies with FLACTagSupport.dll..

Sorry for that.

MaB_fr

• Well, that might've fixed the FLACTagSupport.dll problem referred to in this thread, but I can tell you that it did other bad things to the function of WMP TagSupportExtender. I know you're not really officially supporting WMP 9, but v1.2 works just fine with it AFAI can see: WMP 9.0.0.3349, Win XP Home SP2 (fully patched).

Whatever you changed in 1.3 (no changelog anywhere...?), Ogg Comments no longer work in my setup. No error messages, it all looks fine, but as soon as I enter a secion of the Media Library containing Ogg files, or try to open or drag-n-drop such files into my WMP9, it crashes and dies.  When I then restart WMP9 it says that the 3rd party Plugins have been disabled.

I deinstalled 1.3 and installed 1.2 instead and it all works.

Would be nice if you could iron out this problem as well. Or give me a hint about what I might need to do at my end to fix it -- maybe my WMP9 needs to be patched (and no, I will not upgrade to WMP 11)

Cheers,
      /M

• M@B
        M@B
        2007-02-18

Hum, ok, i should have messed somewhere...

First, i OFFICIALLY support WMP9 since 1.1. It gives us WMP9 thru 11 (yeah, i'm a bit of a fool :))

For your problem, could you please try this :
        - copy VorbisTagSupport.dll in some other place;
        - install WMPTSE 1.3;
        - paste the backed-up VorbisTagSupport.dll in the fresh WMPTSE 1.3 directory;
        - you should be asked if you really want to erase the WMPTSE 1.3 VorbisTagSupport.dll, say yes.

Then try using WMP as normally.

If thing are going without any itch, it means that I've fucked up the Vorbis support...

The fact is, there's no change log because...there's NO change in code...

The FLACTagSupport.dll is compiled directly against FLAC library source code. And by default FLAC library adds a dependency with MSVCRT, hence the "updating FLAC library" problem, and hence the 1.3 upgrade (I've made sure it won't happen again in the future).

I theoretically didn't changed a byte in the VorbisTag code... I've played a bit with "Year" tag handling and i may have modify thing here and there, but nothing too fancy, i did take care of canceling my modification...Or may be not, some may have slipped in the release...

If so, you will know it very soon...(and then sorry, but debugging is not a science, unfortunately)

MaB_fr

• M@B
          M@B
          2007-02-19

So much for the "Year" bug...I've really fucked up all WMPTSE. I'm deeply sorry for that (but struggling with WMP itself is kind of messy by nature).

I will shut down the "bad 1.3" version right now and you'll get the 1.4 version right away.

Sorry again

• thanks for the new version.
      I now see the flac tags in WMP11 under windows vista.
      My problem now is that the plugin causes WMP to close when i try and play a flac file.
      When i then open WMP again WMP tells me it recovered from an error and has disabled WMPTSE plugin because it caused the error.  I can then play flac files just fine.  So it seems with the plugin enabled i can't play flac files.

Any ideas?

• M@B
        M@B
        2007-02-19

So much for the "Year" bug...I've really fucked up all WMPTSE. I'm deeply sorry for that (but struggling with WMP itself is kind of messy by nature).

I will shut down the "bad 1.3" version right now and you'll get the 1.4 version right away.

Sorry again

• Thanks for the work you put into this MaB_fr,
      I'm looking forward to testing out 1.4.

• 1.4 is working nicely!
      Thanks for the fixes.

• M@B
        M@B
        2007-02-23

That's the least i can do...