Work at SourceForge, help us to make it a better place! We have an immediate need for a Support Technician in our San Francisco or Denver office.

Close

Win98SE: dll fails to register, even manually

Help
2007-12-22
2013-04-25
  • In Windows 98 SE with WMP 9.0:

On installation (or "repair" in "Add or Remove Programs") I get "Module ...\WMPTagSupportExtender.dll failed to register. HRESULT -2147024776. Contact your support personnel."

On attempting to register using regsvr32 I get "DllRegister Server in ...\...dll failed. Return code was: 0x80070078"

WMP does not show the tag extender plug-in. If I try to add the dll as a plug-in WMP says "The plug-in could not be added."

WMP plays FLAC but does not show tag info.

Is Windows 98 SE supported?

• Darr247
      Darr247
      2008-01-01

I can confirm this result.

Specific WMP version is 9.00.00.3349, if that makes a difference.

I think the problem _may_ be we both followed the link from http://www.losslessaudioblog.com/wmpmce-lossless-guide/ which assures only that it's the ''latest version'' (it's not... it sends people to the 1.1 MS installer).

Once here I looked around a bit more and see that not only has 1.2 been released for just about a year, but that the tag extender is intended only for WMP 10 on NT, 2000, XP and Vista. The info at losslessaudioblog fails to mention any of that, and just sends people straight to the (1.1) download.

Another missed chance to abort was when the installer screen opened; it hasn't said it was specifically for WMP 10 since the .6 version msi. And rudimentary FLAC support wasn't added until .9, so versions older than that don't help people that want to see (let alone edit) FLAC tags, anyway.

Oh well. Happy new year.  :-)