wired-packagers mailing list

2006-06-17
2013-04-24
  • Louis Carrese
    Louis Carrese
    2006-06-17

A new wired-packagers mailing list has been created. It is intended to people who want to help packaging wired for their platform.
    There, the whole packaging procedure will be explained and discussed. Moreover, packagers will be able to coordinate themselves and discuss problems they might have.

As next release should come soon, please apply quickly if you're interested.

Thanks for your support.

• Daniel Moura
      Daniel Moura
      2006-06-27

It applies to Win32 too?

• Doomsday
        Doomsday
        2006-06-27

For now, its surely not applicable, Wired has certainly too much code non-win32 compilable.

But if you are a C++ developer, you can help us for getting Wired under Win32 plateform :)

• Daniel Moura
          Daniel Moura
          2006-06-27

Hi Doomsday,

What piece of code specifically is system dependant?

• Doomsday
            Doomsday
            2006-06-28

We have few of dlopen to convert into wxDynamicLoader (very fast), but a lot of open() call. Some of them are in our plugins, so efforts in compiling Wired base can be small.
            Certainly some other work need to be done, but I don't know what...

If you're interessed, come on irc on #wired-devel (irc.freenode.net) and we could create a win32 branche on SVN.

• Daniel Moura
              Daniel Moura
              2006-06-28

Ok, before, I'm trying to prepare the development environment using Cygwin. I have a lot of mistakes do solve ;-)

• Daniel Moura
      Daniel Moura
      2006-07-04

After many adjustments to compile the dependencies (wired-libs), I found a problem with the step "aclocal --force" in autogen.sh:

10 [main] bash 13252 C:\cygwin\bin\bash.exe: *** fatal error - fork: can't
      reserve memory for stack 0x23E680 - 0x240000, Win32 error 487
           10 [main] bash 13252 C:\cygwin\bin\bash.exe: *** fatal error - fork: can't
      reserve memory for stack 0x23E680 - 0x240000, Win32 error 487
           47 [main] bash 9052 child_copy: stack write copy failed, 0x23E680..0x240000
      , done 0, windows pid 2352564, Win32 error 5
           47 [main] bash 9052 child_copy: stack write copy failed, 0x23E680..0x240000
      , done 0, windows pid 2352564, Win32 error 5
      /usr/bin/autom4te: fork: No error
      aclocal: autom4te failed with exit status: 128

And more: is really correct ask for "libasound" in  "configure.ac" and ALSA headers? ALSA is used for portaudio on Linux only.

• Doomsday
        Doomsday
        2006-07-04

Wow, weird error for aclocal! :)

Maybe I can generate for you all autotools things. Come on IRC #wired-devel irc.freenode.net for talk about this.

You're right for ALSA headers, we'll check this!

• Daniel Moura
          Daniel Moura
          2006-07-04

Don't worry about generating of "autothings". I can do it on Linux. Why you don't distribute Wired with "configure" script ready to use?

• Doomsday
      Doomsday
      2006-07-05

In fact, we distribute the configure script with our releases, but we don't keep them on our SVN.

These files depend on one specific version, and so are useless on the SVN.

• Daniel Moura
        Daniel Moura
        2006-07-05

Oh, sorry by ignorance. I don't have experience with GNU autotools. Really, I did generate the autotools stuff in Linux and I did try to make on Windows without success. After "configure" and "make" is showed:

make[1]: Entering directory `/cygdrive/d/Downloads/wired/wired/intl'
        make[1]: Nothing to be done for `all'.
        make[1]: Leaving directory `/cygdrive/d/Downloads/wired/wired/intl'
        Making all in po
        make[1]: Entering directory `/cygdrive/d/Downloads/wired/wired/po'
        make[1]: *** No rule to make target `all'.  Stop.
        make[1]: Leaving directory `/cygdrive/d/Downloads/wired/wired/po'
        make: *** [all-recursive] Error 1

Very strange.

• Doomsday
          Doomsday
          2006-07-05

This error is done with current SVN revision ?

It's an old known bug.. The solution was to use our script "autogen.sh"; it is what you have done ?

• Daniel Moura
      Daniel Moura
      2006-07-06

I did try to do all newly (download from SVN, ./autogen.sh on Linux, and ./configure on Windows) and on this time it worked fine. Now I'll try to solve the compilation errors. The first:

MainApp.cpp: In member function `virtual bool MainApp::OnInit()':
      MainApp.cpp:26: error: `wxHandleFatalExceptions' undeclared (first use this
         function)
      MainApp.cpp:26: error: (Each undeclared identifier is reported only once for
         each function it appears in.)
      MainApp.cpp:32: error: parse error before `)' token
      make[2]: *** [MainApp.o] Error 1

• Doomsday
      Doomsday
      2006-07-06

Ok, well, it's a true competition to get Wired working :)

We have a problem with cygwin and MinGW things, because they don't support exceptions (In Win32, only VisualC has exceptions support (SEH)). Took from thread http://wxforum.shadonet.com/viewtopic.php?t=8238.

In this case, I think it's better for you to do local modifications, and "#ifndef cygwin" current calls (I'm not sure about cygwin keyword).

Good luck

• Daniel Moura
      Daniel Moura
      2006-07-06

About MIDI: in src/dssi/dssi.h there is an inclusion of alsa/seq_event.h, so the MIDI part is not portable (ALSA dependant), right? Exist some plan about PortMidi?

• Daniel Moura
      Daniel Moura
      2006-07-07

Sorry Doomsday, I found portmidi directory in this moment! The location of PortMidi isn't so good. So, why alsa/seq_event.h ?

• Doomsday
        Doomsday
        2006-07-07

Well, we use this file only in portmidi implementation (src/midi/portmidi/pm_linux/pmlinuxalsa.c) and is not needed elsewhere.

We keep in mind we have to remove useless things, thanks to report these things :)

• Daniel Moura
      Daniel Moura
      2006-07-07

This file is needed by src/dssi/dssi.h because of snd_seq_event_t structure, passed as parameter of functions contained in DSSI_Descriptor, which in turn needed by src/dssi/WiredExternalPlugin.cpp
      My intention is only to help to improve Wired. Sorry if I'm being bored.

• Daniel Moura
      Daniel Moura
      2006-07-07

Are you using any IDE to develop Wired?

• Doomsday
        Doomsday
        2006-07-07

It's not an easy question.. Currently, we all works on emacs. But the formers members used Eclipse.

It can be disturbing to don't see the correct indentation in your editor, but it's the case for everyone :)

• Daniel Moura
      Daniel Moura
      2006-07-09

Attention: for who is thinking about to do a Wired porting for Win32 AVOID TO USE CYGWIN!!!
      Using MinGW is much less hard to do it.
      Important tools:
      1) Patience;
      2) Experience with GNU tools;
      3) Faith. :-P
      I'm doing good results until now, but, there is a far way to cross.

• Daniel Moura
      Daniel Moura
      2006-07-15

I can compile all sources of Wired on Win32, after many changes (without any compromise of all features be working at the end). My main intention was see how many difficult could be port Wired for a different platform. On this moment, I'm being problems in linkage step.  Wired for Win32 will be reality on the next months. Before, some things must be adjusted (tuning of build process, ALSA dependencies, separated and updated portmidi, pthread dependencies, review of some Linux-only features in general, etc). It isn't a difficult thing for main developers, that know well the entire code. I can help when Win32 port be desired.