Perhaps I am missing something..

2002-09-19
2002-09-22
  • This is an excellent tool bud. Any chance there is a way to scan a particular domain rather than a block of ip's? If not, perhaps in a future version?
    Again, great job!
    Bret

• Kirby Kuehl
      Kirby Kuehl
      2002-09-20

Bret, it is your lucky day. I had this feature in the old winfingerprint 2.2x commandline series, so I added into winfingerprint current as of 09-19-2002.
      Feel free to test it and provide feedback. Currently it enumerates all of Network Neighborhood, but I could easily change it to enumerate a given domain.

Kirby

• Kirby,
      Thanks for the quick response. Actually, I am trying to resolve ip's from one of many, many domains spread across a corporate wide area network. Being able to target a specific domain would make this my all-in-one tool. Right now, I would have to use another MS tool to scan a specific domain, then parse the resulting reports for the ip's...

Again, the tool is great. Open source rules.

Bret

• Kirby Kuehl
        Kirby Kuehl
        2002-09-20

Sounds like the reason winfingerprint was written. I too was once an administrator of an NT installation that had many, many NT domains. I just committed this capability to CVS and it will be contained in current-09202002.

Kirby

• Trying to run it now. System is running W2k server SP3. If I initiate a scan on a single system or range of ip's, no issues. When I attempt to scan an entire domain, the app exits with no on screen error, but the application event log reports, "The application, , generated an application error The error occurred on 09/20/2002 @ 10:53:49.213 The exception generated was c0000005 at address 004068C6 (<nosymbols>) "

Any ideas? Hope I am not starting to wear out my welcome.

Thanks again!
      Bret

• Kirby Kuehl
        Kirby Kuehl
        2002-09-20

I will test things out once I get to work. This code was committed based on existing code I had for the command line version of winfingerprint, and it went in untested since I coded it from home. Since you requested the feature, you get to be guinea pig.

I'll make some more changes and compile a debug version for you as well.

Kirby

• *sniff* I love you man...
      BTW, I ran it on another system as well. Bone stock MS XP. Same issue.

Bret

• *sniff* I love you man...
      BTW, tried it on a bone-stock XP system. Same issue.

Bret

• Kirby Kuehl
        Kirby Kuehl
        2002-09-20

Ok, tested it out on my work's network. I do get lots of access denied messages, but things definitely seem to work. I added some Enumeration debug information so you can watch what is happening. Let me know...

Kirby

• Nuts. Still have the same problem. The app crashes to desktop without fessing up any information. Tried it on two seperate os's. I have selected various combo's of the setting. Each time, everything ran fine unless I chose an NT domain. The app will run then quit to desktop. XP will do it's thing and attempt to send info to MS. Any chance the debug file it creates would be helpfull?

Bret

• Kirby Kuehl
        Kirby Kuehl
        2002-09-20

Try leaving it blank. (This will enumerate all domains). That test works for me.

• Kirby
      I wish I could bud. I would get hammered for trying. The IDS folks would go crazy and I could potentially be fired for violating corporate policy (though shalt not scan systems outside your jusrisdiction..). Plus, the domain I am responsible for is one of 240 spread across several class b subnets.

Bret

• Kirby,
      I just tried running it against a network with 5 seperate domains. Same thing happened when I tried choosing a single domain. However if I leave it blank, no problems. Weird?

Bret

• Kirby Kuehl
        Kirby Kuehl
        2002-09-22

Fix checked into cvs. Will be released as current after the weekend.

Kirby